Home iPod Software Development

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Right, here's the deal:

-The iPod software isn't 100% perfect (2.1)

-1st and 2nd generation iPoders would also like new features

-More features would benefit everyone

-Open-Source projects are fun!

-> I want YOU! for the podOS project 2003.

I'm looking for people who can decompile/reverse engineer/ program/ use trial and error methods

To create a new personalised version OS for the iPod (without getting sued by apple!)

I know of many other open source groups that have made great pieces of software for all sorts of products, surely there must be some clever people with a bit of time on their hands that can do this sort of thing. I'm thinking of people like the guy who wrote ephpod, the programmers who wrote openoffice....

WHO'S WITH ME???!!

p.s just trying to get the ball rolling so i can have a music-playing alarm on my 2nd gen 10gigger. I think we can safely assume apple's not gonna do it...

pank2002

Feel the ?
Sure sound like a good idea.

A project like that is already started, I think it called linux on iPod or something like that. I think the Linux thing is a littile to nerded, so an improvment of the current softwear sure would be nice. I know there have been made a new OS for archos players, and the developers of the new OS have added support for other formats AND battery life. It shoure would be nice to get some more formats (ie loosless formats other the wav/aiff), or OGG.

Hope somebody will help... unfortuanlty I dont have any computer skilz, so i cant really help, other then with spiritual support :)

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Yeah, i know about the ipod on linux project, but i think that is all they are trying to do: Create a way to mount ipod in linux, and along the way they are finding out useful things...
I'm talking more about a os alteration like the one you mentioned on the archos player....

The current OS isn't actually made by apple as far as i know, but by another company (i forget the name, it's mentioned in the license part in the about menu, can't look it up right now)

But the fact that the menu build seems fairly straightforward kind of makes me think that mimicking and reverse engineering that sucker shouldn't be too hard.

If you look at the way the menu was altered from 1.2.6 -> 1.3 it would seem as if minor alterations and all that hard to make..

KeaneE04

AptMunich said:
(without getting sued by apple!)

Hehe, lost me there, bsodmike and i have already had our run in with apple computer's legal department this month. Check out ipodlinux.sourceforge.net for the linux on ipod project.

Tlak

I'd be willing to test it, but I have no programming skills as such, unless TI-BASIC for graphing calculators will help... :D