Hit the stacks!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
T

threadhead

It may not be as convenient for you as it is here in Phoenix, but they have TONS of audio books at the public libraries, and they are all FREE :)

Unfortunately, they don't usually have the newest releases, but they do get them after a few months. And they are almost always the unabridged editions. I just browse the list on the internet, mark the ones I want, and they are ready for me to pick-up just inside the door. Hard to beat.

I rip them in iTunes (AAC, 48kbps, stereo). Files come out to about 24M per CD. Or most of the audio book CDs are broken down into 3-5 minute tracks. Excellent quality. One big downside is that neither the iPod or iTunes remembers where you paused. I keep making this request to Apple and hopefully they will hear it.

MikeM

Retired
You do realize you are promoting an illegal activity in a public forum? :)

That is unless you listen to and delete them before returning the discs to the library...

T

threadhead

I'm at a loss to understand where I have condoned an illegal activity :confused:

Checking out an audio book, listening to it on your CD player or iPod, and returning it is within the bounds of 'fair use' of library material. Heck, you can even read books, quote and addtibute them in your own work, and return the book. I in no way condoned sharing or copying those audio book rips. And yes, I delete them after I have listened... I never read/listen any book twice (a silly superstition) and they are too big to keep around.

Of course, audible.com probably has a different view on this matter :D

Oh ya, almost forgot another way to listen to audio books 'less expensively'... buy them used on ebay, listen, and resell them back on ebay. The value only decreases slightly each time it's resold. In fact, ebay is quicly becoming a sort of 'rental service' for many items like audio books. And yes, completely legal.

Too bad netflix or filmcaddy hasn't picked up on audio books yet :rolleyes:

Podunk

Can't argue that the libary is an excellent source of reading materials, whether in print or audio.

As for the legal and ethical issues of recording CD's borrowed from the library, I'll leave that discussion alone, as it is better suited for another forum.

Last edited: