Help tranferring non-purchased library

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PantherUNI

Hello. I've been searching for a solution for weeks on this topic and nothing has worked thus far. Here's my situation: Old PC bit the dust, but hard drive is still good. I've never backed anything up, unless it's done automatically. (I know now that it's a huge mistake). I got a new pc with an empty iTunes library.
I've tried 3rd party programs like Sharepod to no avail. Now I'm wondering if I get a cable to hook up my hard drive to my new pc if I will be able to transfer my music easily?
The majority of my music came from cd's, only a few songs were actually purchased from iTunes.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes.

Close iTunes
Hook up the old drive
Copy the iTunes folder from the old drive (assuming iTunes Library.itl and all your music is loaded there) to the My Music folder on the new drive Overwrite ALL files and folders.
Open iTunes and everything should be available to play. (If you don't see or can't play your music, you may need to edit your preferences in iTunes Edit->Preferences, Advanced. Set the iTunes Media Folder to C:\Users\<login name>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music)
Syncs will not erase your iPhone/iPod.

If your music was not in the iTunes folder, you'll have to figure out how to copy from the old drive and place in the EXACT folder structure it was located on the old drive on the new drive. After that is complete, you can Consolidate your music to the iTunes\iTunes Media folder.

hschsc

Yes.

Close iTunes
Hook up the old drive
Copy the iTunes folder from the old drive (assuming iTunes Library.itl and all your music is loaded there) to the My Music folder on the new drive Overwrite ALL files and folders.
Open iTunes and everything should be available to play. (If you don't see or can't play your music, you may need to edit your preferences in iTunes Edit->Preferences, Advanced. Set the iTunes Media Folder to C:\Users\<login name>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music)
Syncs will not erase your iPhone/iPod.

If your music was not in the iTunes folder, you'll have to figure out how to copy from the old drive and place in the EXACT folder structure it was located on the old drive on the new drive. After that is complete, you can Consolidate your music to the iTunes\iTunes Media folder.
Still cant get :(

cjmnews

Staff member
It is hard to help without knowing where you are stuck.