Help needed with separating an iTunes Library

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tomdkat

A friend of mine has been sharing his iTunes store account with his daughter for a few years now and is tired of seeing her music in their "shared" library. So, what he would like to do is create a separate Windows account for his daughter and setup iTunes in her Windows account to contain only her music and his iTunes library will contain only music.

Here is what he's going to do now:

*) Get a Windows account created for his daughter
*) Get iTunes initialized in her Windows account
*) Get a separate iTunes store account for her daughter

Here is what we need help with:

*) Getting her music transferred from their current "shared" iTunes library safely to her iTunes library in her Windows account. Since a lot of her music is stored in the cloud, would she simply need to login to the "shared" iTunes store account from her personal iTunes library and download her music to the computer and then logout of the "shared" iTunes store account and login to her personal iTunes store account (for future purchases)? Also, since she's got music, and other things I imagine, on her iPhone what would be the safest way of connecting her iPhone to her personal iTunes library in her Windows account? How would we establish her new, personal iTunes library as the new "master" for her iPhone such that she won't lose anything already stored on her iPhone?

*) Getting her music removed from the current "shared" iTunes library. My friend doesn't want to see her songs, which reside in the cloud, in his iTunes library once she has been established with her own iTunes store account and iTunes library.

They are running iTunes 11.0.3 on Windows XP Home Edition (SP3).

I did find a thread here entitled "Two itunes accounts 1 PC" which is close to what we're wanting to do but we want to do the opposite and go from a "shared" library to two individual ones.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

Peace...

cjmnews

Staff member
You could just copy the iTunes directory from the original Windows account My Music directory and paste it in the new Windows account My Music directory.

You'll have to play with permissions to allow this, or use the first Windows account to copy the data to the Public My Music directory as a preliminary step.

Then you log into each account individually, and delete what ever they don't want to see. Authorize the new windows account iTunes with a new iTunes account.

A few notes:
1. It would be easier to ignore the other music, and sync to playlists of music you like than to do this.
2. You can't use iTunes with Fast User Switching. You MUST shutdown iTunes in the first account before using it in the second account.
3. You can't share apps anymore. You'll have to buy them on each account and sync the device that is from that account with that iTunes.
4. You may have issues sharing music. You may end up buying some songs twice.
5. You have double the work for backups.

tomdkat

You could just copy the iTunes directory from the original Windows account My Music directory and paste it in the new Windows account My Music directory.

You'll have to play with permissions to allow this, or use the first Windows account to copy the data to the Public My Music directory as a preliminary step.

Then you log into each account individually, and delete what ever they don't want to see. Authorize the new windows account iTunes with a new iTunes account.
Thanks for this information. It's a tremendous help. :)

A few notes:
1. It would be easier to ignore the other music, and sync to playlists of music you like than to do this.
2. You can't use iTunes with Fast User Switching. You MUST shutdown iTunes in the first account before using it in the second account.
3. You can't share apps anymore. You'll have to buy them on each account and sync the device that is from that account with that iTunes.
4. You may have issues sharing music. You may end up buying some songs twice.
5. You have double the work for backups.
Thanks for mentioning these issues. I mentioned simply ignoring the music in question, to my friend, but he seems pretty adamant about not seeing her music "clutter" his library. So, for the songs she's purchased that show up in his library as being stored in the cloud, he'll just have to ignore those or is there a way of preventing those songs from appearing in his library?

Thanks!

Peace...

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
So, for the songs she's purchased that show up in his library as being stored in the cloud, he'll just have to ignore those or is there a way of preventing those songs from appearing in his library?
If he sets up a separate library for her, with her songs located in their own folder separate from where he keeps his music files, then these can be deleted from his library. But you bring up another issue -- any songs that were purchased on his account will remain visible in iTunes as "available downloads from iCloud", but that can be disabled. Unfortunately, it is an all-or-nothing setting to hide iTunes in the cloud:

1- In iTunes select Edit/Preferences/Store and de-select "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases".

-- or --

2- In iTunes select View/Hide Music in the Cloud.

This will prevent her purchases from showing up in his library as "iCloud songs".

Note: Method #1 is probably better because doing #2 has a strange side-effect if you ever use the Show Duplicates or Show Exact Duplicates utility in iTunes. If you ever re-name an iTunes-purchased album (sometimes their titles are not correct) then iTunes will think you no longer have the original purchase in your library, so will report the songs in the re-named album as duplicates but with only one copy shown (the other copy is hidden by the actions of #2). This bugged me for weeks until I figured it out.

tomdkat

If he sets up a separate library for her, with her songs located in their own folder separate from where he keeps his music files, then these can be deleted from his library. But you bring up another issue -- any songs that were purchased on his account will remain visible in iTunes as "available downloads from iCloud", but that can be disabled. Unfortunately, it is an all-or-nothing setting to hide iTunes in the cloud:

1- In iTunes select Edit/Preferences/Store and de-select "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases".

-- or --

2- In iTunes select View/Hide Music in the Cloud.

This will prevent her purchases from showing up in his library as "iCloud songs".

Note: Method #1 is probably better because doing #2 has a strange side-effect if you ever use the Show Duplicates or Show Exact Duplicates utility in iTunes. If you ever re-name an iTunes-purchased album (sometimes their titles are not correct) then iTunes will think you no longer have the original purchase in your library, so will report the songs in the re-named album as duplicates but with only one copy shown (the other copy is hidden by the actions of #2). This bugged me for weeks until I figured it out.
Thanks for the info. I learned about the "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" option Monday. :)

Since I started this thread, my friend's iPhone's speaker died and he opted to replace it with a Samsung Galaxy S4. He also got an iPad mini. So now, I'm going to download his current iTunes purchases, which are stored in the cloud, to his computer and get those transferred to his Samsung Galaxy using the "Kies" software. Once that's done, I"ll use method #1 above to hide his daughter's purchases from his library.

Somehow, a TON of music he ripped from CD into iTunes got lost, but he's got the CDs still so he can re-rip those. I'm not sure what happened there since I had not seen him or worked on this in over a month.

Thanks again for ALL of the help provided!!!!!

Peace...