• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Help me get to the bottom of this: iPod Mystery

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PrintNameHere

Ok, here is the story.

My good friend bought a brand new iPod Photo. He decided he did not want it anymore. He decides to sell it to a trust worthy person/aquaintance we both know.

Aquaintance comes back and says the iPod doesn't work, and it isn't even a colour iPod.

I know for a fact that he gave him a colour/photo ipod. I step in and tell him I will take the iPod and try to fix it. I get it, and it is definetly not the iPod that my good friend gave him. This iPod is scratched to hell, etc.

So, I tinker a bit, then decide to open it up and do the HardDrive shake trick. It works, and the ipod is back to normal.

Now that I can access it, I want to find out who's iPod this really belongs to.

I think that the aqaintance who bought it got it switched at a party when he passed out or something. This guy genuinly was ####ed and I am fairly sure he had nothing to do with it. I am positive he had nothing to do with it.

Here is what I need. Is there anyway to get a name or information of who owns this iPod, wheter it be through software or serial number search, etc?

BTW, there are notes on this iPod. They are definetly not at a Grade 11 level of classes, I will post them so maybe one of you might know what class they pertain to.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Okay...

Changed my mind. Not sure if this really belongs in the lounge, but after reading it more I see it's more a philosphical question than an iPod problem, so perhaps can stay here a bit until another mod moves it.

Discuss.

You won't be able to track down owner based off of serial. It's protected info.

Last edited:

JMG

asdf
technically the new owner is S.O.L. It's his fault he got it switched and your friend has no obligation whatsoever now. To prove it all you have to do is show the "new owner" the receipt and/or box that says ipod photo.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
JMG is correct here. You can stay out of the matter, if you want.

PrintNameHere

A few things:

The new owner hasn't paid my friend all of the money yet.

There is no reciept.

JMG

asdf
PrintNameHere said:
A few things:

The new owner hasn't paid my friend all of the money yet.

There is no reciept.
screwed

the buyer is a plain idiot for losing it, and your friend lacked judgment in not getting full payment and it clear what the transaction was for. If your friend had shown the buyer the ipod and shown him it was in color and how it works, how the buttons work etc. it would be plain as day to the buyer that the scratched up ipod that he currently has is not his. Sounds like someone is either drinking too much or smoking too much weed to not be able to tell the difference between the ipod he bought and the ipod he has now.

Last edited:

Kaleidoscope

JMG said:
screwed

the buyer is a plain idiot for losing it, and your friend lacked judgment in not getting full payment and it clear what the transaction was for. If your friend had shown the buyer the ipod and shown him it was in color and how it works, how the buttons work etc. it would be plain as day to the buyer that the scratched up ipod that he currently has is not his. Sounds like someone is either drinking too much or smoking too much weed to not be able to tell the difference between the ipod he bought and the ipod he has now.
Honestly.

Doesn't it sound the least bit strange that he cannot tell the difference between the two iPods? Sounds as if he's trying to pull the wool over your friend's eyes because that just sounds shady.

ipodphoto30

this guy may not be a friend then.

check the serial number. and see if you get a hold of the original serial number. and try to match them.

apple would never make a mistake of putting a monochrome ipod in a color ipod box. but everyone makes mistake. it's just not likely though. in my mind i would think that you should stay out of this, and maybe just give your friend advice on what to do.