Help! I had an accident... are pin drives durable?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DR0570

I had an accident I dropped all my pin drives on the marble floor in my house. I keep them in a Tupperware compntsiner and I accidentally spilled them, not only that my room was a bit dark and I have sight problems I stepped on a couple. I’m testing my pin drives now so far....ok. My only question is howdurable are pin drives?

DR0570

I went on Amaxon and I bought a small but 256 bit drive. This should solve my problems a lot better than keeping a bunch of 16GB and 32GB in a Tupperware container. What do you know about this brand? im not even sure I can pronounce it.8259

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes thumb drives (pin drives) are fairly durable.

Never heard of that brand, and I generally only buy from the big brands. Some of the cheaper drives I have purchased have died early.

DR0570

Oooh, please don’t say that. I just ordered it yesterday! 😄🙁
if anyone here knows about the Baihuo (let alone pronouncing it) please post reply here.
really though I have a pin drive that’s out of the shell that still works. I think I lost it now, but it was still working great.

DR0570

Should I be concerned? It seems a lot of people reformat before they use it. I don’t do that I use a pin drive immediately after I buy it. Always works for me. I would assume it’ll work for this.

cjmnews

Staff member
If the drive comes pre-formatted for your system, then formatting is not necessary. If you have an alternate system, formatting is required.

You will probably be OK, though with 3 reviews you are a guinea pig telling future Amazon customers how the drive works.
I guess not really, I found the same drive under another name, for more money with 167 reviews, 17% say it is unreliable, gets hot and does not connect well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8BLF2F
Looking at the big brands of drives, 17% bad reviews is normal for flash drives. So you may be OK. It really depends on if you get a good one or not.

Last edited:

DR0570

Just got it, tried it and...😫
it only works on my computer. Not on devices. When I put it in the LGsmartTV it said ”Unsupported File System” Why didn’t anyone tell me? Why did it say that in the description?

DR0570

Well tried formatting it...same thing... 😫😫😫 I thought ALL pen drives work on devices. Why didn’t anyone tell me that some don’t? And why shouldn’t all pendrives work on devices like TVs and blu ray?WHY ARE THEY MAK.ING THIS SO HARD!

cjmnews

Staff member
Actually the LG WebOS Smart TV recommends the use of 32 GB or less. 256GB is too big.

You will need to use the Disk Management tools in Windows to split the drive into multiple partitions. You could do a 32 GB partition and 224 GB partition. Move the videos you want to watch on the TV to the 32 GB partition.

DR0570

I did not know that a pen drive can be too big to be used on device like a smartTV and bluray..

DR0570

A friend told me if I change the NTFS to EXFAT, it should work. ??

cjmnews

Staff member
No. LG WebOS only supports Fat32 or NTFS, up to 32 GB. This is all found with simple searches.

DR0570

Well, looks like I’m stuck..
the drive needs to a fat32, this ones an exfat. there was no way to know this. I feel lied to by the seller or manufacture.

cjmnews

Staff member
You just reformatted it per the message #10 in this thread. So you may have altered the format. I don't think you can blame the manufacturer for that.

You can always partition it with Disk Utility, and format it MSDOS (FAT) which is FAT32 on a Mac as well.
Of course it can be done in Windows too.