• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Help from the Mac users here...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Hi all, in a couple of days I am flying out to Florida, and while I am up there, I was going to pick up a Macbook Pro. Anyway, of course I want to use it straight away, however I wasn't too sure on a few things...

- Is there software which I can use on my Mac will will transfer all my songs from my iPod? While I am up there, I want to use it right away, though I would have to to this on the way back anyway...Also my iPod is PC formatted, is this a problem?

- Portable storage...I have a portable HD which I may or may not take up there to do some work on the evenings, also for use for my PC...will this work on my Mac from the go? How about standard USB memory keys?

- What is the power supply like for the MBP? Will I simply be able to use a UK standard adapter once I fly back here, or may I have to use a stepdown converter on the stock US one?

Apologies for sounding like a complete noob, I've been posting up queries all over different message boards..I guess it is better to be sure now before trying to just wing it once I get up there:p

Thanks in advance:)

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
1) Yes, you can refer to the software in this article. The PC-format shouldn't matter as Macs and PCs alike can read PC formatted iPods, not the other way around.

2) Yes, it will work with your Mac. Same with memory sticks.

3) I assume if you bought your Macbook Pro in the UK, it should come with an adapter for UK users...however, I don't live in the UK so what do I know.

Hope you have fun in Florida!

~tl

xboxman said:
- What is the power supply like for the MBP? Will I simply be able to use a UK standard adapter once I fly back here, or may I have to use a stepdown converter on the stock US one?
Apple's power supplies are auto-switching... so they'll work fine at 240V in the UK. You can either use one of the simple US/UK pin converters or try and find one of Apple's UK plugs -- one from an iPod adapter will work just fine.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Also if the latest AC charger blocks still use the pull off plug part that uses the 'figure-8' connector you can use any lead with a UK plug to 'figure-8' to plug into the AC charger if you don't have a spare UK plug adaptor...

JMG

asdf
use ipodrip. Skip the hassle and keep all your ratings and playcounts.

kyussmondo

1. You can use an application called Senuti to move stuff from the iPod to your Mac. I would then recommend formatting your iPod to a Mac iPod unless you intend on sharing it with Windows friends. The reason I say this is it needs to be Mac formatted to get firmware updates and there has been some incompatibilities apparently.

2. As long as your external HDD is formatted in FAT32 or HFS+ then your Mac will read and write to it just fine. I recommend FAT32 so you can use it on Windows PC's as well. Currently Mac OS X can on read NTFS but it cannot write.

3. I would recommend just picking up a UK power supply when you get home.

Hope you enjoy your new Mac as much as I enjoy mine!