Help finding adapter/converter cable for Charging/Speaker Dock

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I have the following Sony Speaker Dock: Amazon.com : Sony RDPX500iP Dock for iPod, iPhone and iPad : MP3 Players & Accessories

Recently, I had to upgrade my 3rd Gen iPod Touch to a 5th Gen, because understandably after 5-6 years it needed a battery and was running very slow. I used the Sony speaker dock linked above ^ for about 2 years with the 3rd Gen iPod. The speaker still works great, is basically the equivalent of the Bose Sounddock, and it was $250-300 when I got it. I don't want to have to buy the newer model of this speaker just b/c Apple needed to change the dock connector from 30 pin to 8 pin. The speaker does have an auxiliary connection, and yes, I can use an audio cable to connect the iPod to listen only. However, I'd like to be able to use the speaker as originally intended, which would be the ability to listen and change simultaneously again.

I've tried this adapter: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m) - Apple Store (U.S.) in conjunction with a regular (male to male) audio cable. Using those two cables, I can only make the choice to charge or play. It appears that the only way I can achieve both functions simultaneously again would be to use a cable such as this one: Audio Adapter Converter for iPhone 5 5S 5c Apple Lightning 8 Pin to 30 Pin Dock | eBay

So, my question is... Does anyone know where I can find a converter cable like the one shown on eBay or something similar, but purchase it in store somewhere here in the US? I've called Apple presenting the situation, and they haven't been able to find one. It does seem like the converter from eBay will work with the speaker, but I'm weary of buying something like this from half way across the world on eBay. I'm sure many have had this problem with accessories since the change of 30 pin to 8 pin dock connector, so I'm curious to get thoughts/opinions on whether there's some way to make this work and a reputable store to buy the cable. Thanks in advance for any input!

cjmnews

Staff member
Since the Apple lightning adapter cable didn't work, I don't think a conversion cable will help. It is the dock that has the problem. It does not know how to talk to an iPod with iOS8.

My brother-in-law's Audi has the same problem.

The other problem is that if the Lightning connector is not part of an Apple cable, it will fail to work.
So the eBay cable may not work for that reason.

You can see if there is a way to upgrade your Sony, but I doubt it.

MoonlitShadow

Since the Apple lightning adapter cable didn't work, I don't think a conversion cable will help. It is the dock that has the problem. It does not know how to talk to an iPod with iOS8.

My brother-in-law's Audi has the same problem.

The other problem is that if the Lightning connector is not part of an Apple cable, it will fail to work.
So the eBay cable may not work for that reason.

You can see if there is a way to upgrade your Sony, but I doubt it.
Thanks for the response. I feel your brother-in-law's pain lol. I think replacing a working product I love for basically the same one (apart from different dock connector) is ridiculous. I realize the dock is the problem though.

Sorry for not making this clear, but the Apple lightning adapter cable DID work. When attached to the speaker's dock it did "wake up" iOS 8 and charge the iPod. The issue is that when charging, you must select "iPod"(button/mode on speaker to tap into use of dock) and when using the audio cable you must select auxiliary mode to play. By that logic, if there was a cable combining dock adapter with male audio cable, you would select "iPod" mode and once again be able to charge and play. I guess you would have to have the speaker in front of you to completely test the theory, but the question remains... Would the cable shown on eBay be the correct combo of both cables needed? Has anyone tried anything like this?

cjmnews

Staff member
So you can't control the iPod from the Dock using the Apple Lightning connector, I would say it does not work.

I would think that plugging the Lightning converter into the dock would provide full functionality, but my guess is that the limited functionality that the converter provides excludes the digital audio interface the dock needs to play back through the iPod 30 pin interface.

The smaller converter states that it provides analog audio, so I would assume the 0.2m cable does the same.

No I don't think the eBay cable will work. That is because the headphone jack is being used to provide analog audio to the 30 pic cable and your existing converter already provides analog audio to the 30 pin interface and does not work. I think that the dock expects digital audio.

You could try and build your own converter adding A2D converters in the middle, that take the 30 pin analog audio and covert it to digital and put it onto the digital audio pin. Unless you are good with solder and circuit design I would not try this.

This dock will not work for you.
You may have to upgrade: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RDPXF300IPN-Lightning-Portable-Bluetooth/dp/B00C5DHGEI

MoonlitShadow

I would think that plugging the Lightning converter into the dock would provide full functionality, but my guess is that the limited functionality that the converter provides excludes the digital audio interface the dock needs to play back through the iPod 30 pin interface.
Thanks for all your help! As it turns out, plugging the Lightning converter into the dock DOES provide full functionally! I was thinking about everything you mentioned and realized that if the iPod was intermittently changing with the Lightning converter plugged in then there might be a connection problem between the iPod and converter, which is exactly what the issue was. I noticed the cord of the Lightning converter was too short and did not make complete connection over the 30 pin dock connector on the speaker. I had to remove the speaker from the shelf I had it on and reconnect it. Once plugged in all the way, the iPod prompted me to download a Sony app.

So, a secure connection using this adapter: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m) - Apple Store (U.S.) + Sony app finally got the speaker communicating correctly with iOS 8. I can now control the iPod through the speaker's remote and charge/play simultaneously again. I should have noticed this sooner and it made me feel like a bit of a moron lol, but the cord on the adapter is VERY short and wasn't making proper contact. I wish Apple made the cord longer, but I'm glad iOS 8 recognizes the speaker now. If anyone is attempting to adapt a speaker to Lightening connection, make sure your connection is secure and the Lightning Adapter with the cord works much better than the one without. The smaller converter without the cord doesn't sit very tightly at all IMO.