• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Help! Can't convert avi to mp4

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dnphillips

OK. So I've purchased quicktime pro. I have a 60g 5th generation IPOD. Itunes video works flawlessly.

BUT...

I'm trying to convert some personal home videos from AVI to MPEG-4. When I do it with Quicktime and then try to reopen the file, it is just sound. The window doesn't even expand to accomodate video. When it do it with videora the same thing happens. I've tried importing the new files into itunes and it doesn't work there either.

My quicktime is updated to the latest version as is my itunes. Is there a specific codec issue I need to watch out for? If I have the latest version of quicktime with support for IPOD video, shouldn't it come with the appropriate mp4 codec? And if itunes vids are playing, doesn't that mean I have what I need?

Why can't I make this work??

Please help!

whereIsMyIpod

try converting to mov. or get xilisoft video coverter and convert to mov from that. works for me.

dnphillips

I will try that right away. The other problem I'm having is that I have tried - in some cases - to convert ram's or wmv's to avi's... and quicktime won't play those avi's. realplayer will play them; but quicktime won't.

nyCecilia

I may be wrong here, but isn't an avi file already encoded in mpeg4? If so, then can't you just change the extension to *.mp4?

The reason I ask this is because that's what I did with my Archos. My Ipod just came today but I won't have time to try it until tomorrow.

el_joker

I just purchased Xilisoft PSP Video Comverter for $29. It will convert DVD, VCD, SVCD, MOV, RM, MPEG, WMV, 3GP, AVI to PSP video format (H.264/MPEG-4). This converter is meant for Sony Playstation but who cares. I needed to convert all my avi files to mpeg4 and that is excatly what this does. I have done two movies so far. Loaded them both to my ipod and the played great. Total conversion time is running between 40 and 40 minutes.

el_joker

I'm not allowed to edit my previous post above. I meant to say

. . . . "Total conversion time is running between 40 and 45 minutes.

Calvinhudson

convert video

There are many online apps can do the video conversion for you, such as zamzar, Acethinker Video Converter, mediaconverter, etc. They are totally free, and you don't have to download or install anything.

cjmnews

Staff member
These guys posted 12 years ago. Things have changed since then. Check the dates before replying in the future.