Heat

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
Just had a nice Sony head unit installed yesterday that lets me use my iPod on the go. I didn't use it on the way to work this morning because I was afraid to leave it sit in the car all day in the blistering sun.

What can I do? It couldn't possibly be good for the iPod. Also, taking it out of the car and into work with me isn't an option.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
At 80 degrees F, a car will reach 114 degrees F in thirty minutes... The maximum temperature for an iPod (non-operating) is 113 degrees F... That's pushing it. Unless your glove box happens to be cooler, or you have storage under an armrest... there's not much you can do.

You could get a few ice packs, put them in a cooler, and put your iPod in the cooler during the day... I recommend some sort of waterproofing.

endless

One thing about cooling like that,

once you take it out, condensation.

think glass of ice water, not good for mr.ipod. not at all

S2_Mac

In a pinch, I put mine under the seat (out of direct sunlight) and leave the windows open an inch or two...p'bly not suitable for you, though...sounds like you're parking in a mega-lot, and partially-opened windows are...risky.

But FWIW, my 80GB has suffered no ill effects from this in a Michigan summer.

HappyPills

RatherPlayHalo said:
Just had a nice Sony head unit installed yesterday that lets me use my iPod on the go. I didn't use it on the way to work this morning because I was afraid to leave it sit in the car all day in the blistering sun.

What can I do? It couldn't possibly be good for the iPod. Also, taking it out of the car and into work with me isn't an option.

I have had my ipod video in my truck since I bought it. Been through some summers where it gets above 130F inside my truck.

Haven't had a single problem.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
The thing is that there is no doubt that excessive heat will eventually have major affects on battery capacity. It shouldn't necessarily affect any other iPod activity.

If you mostly use your iPod "juiced up" on AC, it could be a non-issue.

I'd suggest checking out the temp of your trunk at the end of the day and see if that might be a good place to stash the iPod during the day.

Read the apple battery page for their recommended temps. Ambient temp doesn't necessarily affect battery if you are lucky, it's more direct heat, so keeping the iPod at least out of direct sun light will minimize some of the potential battery issues.