Headphones for walking, studying

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

macaddicted

I just bought a 2G Nano to replace my 3G iPod. I have the Apple headphones, of course, and a set of Koss KSC-35. I have always preferred the sound of the Koss headphones, but they have never been all that comfortable for long term use.

I am looking, perhaps in vain, for a set of headphones that I can use to block out noise when I am trying to do work or study and also use for my nightly walks. It seems to me that one set of headphones may not be useful for both purposes. I need to be able to use the headphones for several hours when doing work/study so I have been looking at IEM's, specifically the The Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro; $200 is about as high as I am willing to go. But I'm not sure they are appropriate for walking. I do have to cross traffic to get to the park I usually walk at, and since it is usually near dark when I begin I'm not sure that I want sound greatly reduced simply from a personal safety standpoint. (Although I work for a police uniform shop and have access to some really nasty sprays.)

I'm looking for opinions. My primary use is for work/study to block out noise and help my concentration. Using them for walking is certainly a plus, especially if I can do it and have a reasonable chance of moving through traffic safely.

Jackonicko

Retired
I like the Sony EX90 for long term comfort and fit, even when moving in quite an energetic manner. The isolation is less than with the Ultimate Ears, too, though you'd still want to stay VERY alert when walking with any risk of traffic, etc. cos any headphones tend to isolate you to an extent.

Jackonicko

Retired
I should have mentioned that I own

Shure E2, E3, E4, Etymotic ER6, UE 3, 5 Pro, 5EB, Sony 51, 70, 71, 90, 888 (and many more!), Sennheiser CX300, PX100, PX200, Panasonic HJE70, Audio Technica ATH CK7, V-Moda Remix M and Bass Freq, JVC HA FX55, iM616, iM716, etc.

I wouldn't recommend the Shure E2 - the sound is no better than average, and they are pretty uncomfortable, especially after an hour.

Of the rest, I'd recommend different phones for different things.

I like the Super Fi 5EB for good, detailed but not over-powering bass, the Panasonic HJE70 as a comfortable, lower cost earphone with nice warm sound, the CX300 as a cheap performer, the V-Moda Bass Freq for lightness and because customer support is so great, and the Sony E888 as my 'conventional bud' (not in-ear) choice.

Jokieman

Sound Guy
macaddicted said:
I just bought a 2G Nano to replace my 3G iPod. I have the Apple headphones, of course, and a set of Koss KSC-35. I have always preferred the sound of the Koss headphones, but they have never been all that comfortable for long term use.

I am looking, perhaps in vain, for a set of headphones that I can use to block out noise when I am trying to do work or study and also use for my nightly walks. It seems to me that one set of headphones may not be useful for both purposes. I need to be able to use the headphones for several hours when doing work/study so I have been looking at IEM's, specifically the The Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro; $200 is about as high as I am willing to go. But I'm not sure they are appropriate for walking. I do have to cross traffic to get to the park I usually walk at, and since it is usually near dark when I begin I'm not sure that I want sound greatly reduced simply from a personal safety standpoint. (Although I work for a police uniform shop and have access to some really nasty sprays.)

I'm looking for opinions. My primary use is for work/study to block out noise and help my concentration. Using them for walking is certainly a plus, especially if I can do it and have a reasonable chance of moving through traffic safely.
All I can tell you for sure is that you will probably want to stick with "passive" noise cancellation instead of "active noise cancellation" because having active noise cancellation+crossing streets+walking in the dark = extremely bad combination.

macaddicted

I've always wanted a set of quality headphones so I ordered a set of the UE super.fi 5 Pro's. I probably won't use them when I walk, at least not in my local park. Being able to use them while I study/work is more important to me

Thanks to all for your advice.

n2xe

Audio Evangelist
Website
www.n2xe.com
macaddicted said:

See http://www.n2xe.com/Buds.html for a fair synopsis of what's available out there...

pyroboy145

Jackonicko said:
I should have mentioned that I own

Shure E2, E3, E4, Etymotic ER6, UE 3, 5 Pro, 5EB, Sony 51, 70, 71, 90, 888 (and many more!), Sennheiser CX300, PX100, PX200, Panasonic HJE70, Audio Technica ATH CK7, V-Moda Remix M and Bass Freq, JVC HA FX55, iM616, iM716, etc.

I wouldn't recommend the Shure E2 - the sound is no better than average, and they are pretty uncomfortable, especially after an hour.

Of the rest, I'd recommend different phones for different things.

I like the Super Fi 5EB for good, detailed but not over-powering bass, the Panasonic HJE70 as a comfortable, lower cost earphone with nice warm sound, the CX300 as a cheap performer, the V-Moda Bass Freq for lightness and because customer support is so great, and the Sony E888 as my 'conventional bud' (not in-ear) choice.
If you don't mind me asking, why on earth do you have that many pairs of headphones? I understand you need different headphones for different things, but that seems to be overkill.

weilik

iPhone 4 Lover
Website
weilik.me
Sorry for bumping your thread but since my question is similar it is better to post in your thread. :)

I am interested to buy the Shure E3 for noise isolation purposes. Usually, I will listen to my iPod in the car, college or while doing my work but the external noises always drained the music playing in my stock earphones and it is very annoying. I am looking for a perfect noise isolation earphones so when even though I am playing the music at a very low volume, outside noises will not interefere with my music experience. Is it possible with the E3? FYI, the higher range such as the E4 or E5 is out of my budget. Kindly advice. Thank you.

Regards,
weilik

Jackonicko

Retired
N2XE,

I admire your enthusiasm, but whatever your website is, it is NOT "a fair synopsis of what's available out there..." It's opinionated and extremely subjective, and some of your conclusions are silly. The E4C is the cheapest acceptable IEM, except the CX300?

I suspect that you haven't sampled enough good IEMs.

Pyroboy,

I have bought quite a few of them, in an effort to find good phones at reasonable cost, but most have been given to me for review, or after review by colleagues.

n2xe

Audio Evangelist
Website
www.n2xe.com
Thanks for your opinion. If you take the time to actually read what I wrote, you might find that I said the CX-300 was a "hybrid IEM", not a true IEM and the best of the bunch to boot.

What do your "colleagues" think?

pyroboy145

Jackonicko said:
Pyroboy,

I have bought quite a few of them, in an effort to find good phones at reasonable cost, but most have been given to me for review, or after review by colleagues.
Wanna hook me up? :D

Macromedia

n2xe said:
Thanks for your opinion. If you take the time to actually read what I wrote, you might find that I said the CX-300 was a "hybrid IEM", not a true IEM and the best of the bunch to boot.

What do your "colleagues" think?
Here we go agian. The review is too subjective and opinionated to be fair.

GianlucaM

Occasional Lounger
I strongly suggest the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. They're awesome. You will love them.
They have a great sound stage, bass, treble and all, and they don't hurt my ears, like the Shure do.

I use them during my commute to work, which includes crossing fairly dangerous streets (I'm crazy I know), a subway ride, and a long walk through city streets, in San Francisco. They're very isolating, so I always look at least twice in every direction when I cross the street. People at work always have to tap on my shoulder, because I can't hear them when they call me.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

-Gianluca.

Last edited:

Jackonicko

Retired
Pyro,

I like to keep one example of anything worthwhile to compare with new acquisitions (was posted the new UEs this morning, which came as a surprise) and the surplus go to friends and family locally, I'm afraid.

Dayroc

im a user of the Audio Technia ATH CK7 and they are great, i remember i bought them when they were 100USD! now i think they are like 59USD?

great for studying, and walking (although you have to becareful). and Very very comfy!

pyroboy145

Jackonicko said:
Pyro,

I like to keep one example of anything worthwhile to compare with new acquisitions (was posted the new UEs this morning, which came as a surprise) and the surplus go to friends and family locally, I'm afraid.

Good thing I was kidding then :D