having trouble with an iPod Nano 1st generation, please help

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

matt26tx

i've been messing around with my mom's old iPod nano for a few days now, and i can't seem to get it working. i've never owned a classic iPod before so i might not be 100% familiar with how it operates. the screen is completely cracked beyond all usability but that's not the main problem, however the backlight still does. my main problem is the fact that i will reset the device fine, i can hear the clickwheel going when i move in a circular motion, but once the device goes into sleep mode, i try to wake it up and the screen doesn't light up, the clickwheel no longer responds, but i can hear clickwheel noises when i press any of the buttons such as menu or play/pause. if anyone knows what is gong on please help. thank you for reading!

cjmnews

Staff member
This seems like normal behavior for an iPod, you have to press the click wheel to wake it up.

cjmnews

Staff member
Is the device charged or plugged in?
Lots of these older devices don't work without constant power. My 3rd generation Nano is like this.

If it will not wake up from sleep by clicking the click wheel, and it has power, then there may be other physical deficiencies with the broken screen preventing it from working.

matt26tx

Is the device charged or plugged in?
Lots of these older devices don't work without constant power. My 3rd generation Nano is like this.

If it will not wake up from sleep by clicking the click wheel, and it has power, then there may be other physical deficiencies with the broken screen preventing it from working.
I left the iPod on charge for about an hour, and it still did the same thing, I’m concerned about leaving it charging for too long because I’m concerned about the old battery in it, and I don’t want it expanding and becoming unstable. You feel like the battery is the issue?

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes I think this is a power issue. The battery is too old to hold a charge. You can leave it plugged in to use, but can't use it unplugged.
The battery should be ok like this

matt26tx

Yes I think this is a power issue. The battery is too old to hold a charge. You can leave it plugged in to use, but can't use it unplugged.
The battery should be ok like this
And if I’m correct, the battery is hard wired into the motherboard and requires soldering to replace?

matt26tx

Yes they are.
Here are videos for replacing the batteries in nanos.
that Is a shame because I do not know how to Solder, nor do I have the equipment. My hope for the iPod Was to buy a replacement screen and an iPod opening kit And just replace the screen, it looks like I’m going to have to give up on it and just buy a fifth GEN iPod classic. Thank you so much for your time and help!