Hate how itunes duplicates my entire PC's music collection

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jack-the-hat

Why cant iTunes just work with the existing music folder/file structure that I have organised on my PC without copying all my music files are reorgansing them in a messy maze of folders. I hate iTunes. Reply is you feel the same? I hope somone from Apple reads this.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
No one from Apple will do anything about this by reading it here. What you want can easily be done, its just that with limited instructions it is not clear how.

If you have already added your music library to iTunes, and if it has copied all your music into the default iTunes Media folder location, you might consider deleting the copies and the iTunes library and start over (as long as your original files are still in place where and how you want them).

Go into iTunes preferences (Edit/ Preferences/ Advanced tab) and un-check the options "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". Now re-add your media files to iTunes and it will not create copies -- all your music will remain where you want it, organized how you want it.

However, note that you cannot move things around at the file/ folder level. Doing that will break the link in the iTunes library since it has no way to know what you did.

Also note that if you add new media to your computer from outside of iTunes, get the files organized how you want, then simply drag and drop the new additions to the open iTunes library.

Any iTunes purchases will go into the default iTunes Media folder, so if you make iTunes purchases and you want those organized how you do your other media files, you'll have to remove these items from iTunes (keep the native files), move the files where you want them, then re-add them to iTunes from their new location.

If all this sounds too difficult, well that's because you've chosen to manage things yourself at the file level. I'm not sure why people continue to do that, unless they use other media devices in addition to iTunes/iPods. But if you're using only an iPod/iPhone/iPad, consider letting go of the file and folder management, it is soooooo much easier to let go of that task!

cjmnews

Staff member
Maybe a search on keeping your folder structure would have helped.

You can turn off the Copy Files to iTunes Library and Keep Library Organized and use your own structure.
Many people have been doing this for years.

You lose some benefits doing this but for those that care about their folder structure, it works.

SnoopyCooper

Is it just me? or does version 11.0.1.12 have a bug where iTunes copies files to the iTunes Media folder even though the Preferences page is configured not to.

Since I upgraded to 11.0.1.12, iTunes insists on copying files to the iTunes Media folder, and I cannot make is stop through the Preferences. It does a copy when I use "Add Folder to Library...".

SnoopyCooper

Is it just me? or does version 11.0.1.12 have a bug where iTunes copies files to the iTunes Media folder even though the Preferences page is configured not to.

Since I upgraded to 11.0.1.12, iTunes insists on copying files to the iTunes Media folder, and I cannot make is stop through the Preferences. It does a copy when I use "Add Folder to Library...".
More info...

I found that the Preferences selection for "Copy Files to iTunes Media folder" is inverted. If I set the option, it does not copy the files. If I clear the option, it does copy the files.

At least I have a workaround now.