Has anyone done a minimal iTunes Intall?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cjmnews

Staff member
I don't see why you would bother.

If you skip Bonjour, you lose library sharing.
If you skip Apple Mobile Device Support, you lose iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch syncing
If you skip iPod Helper Service and iTunes Helper, you lose iPod detection and syncing
If you skip APSDaemon Service, you lose WiFi Syncing.

The apparently no longer require Quicktime to be installed, and removed it from their package (I have not verified, just read it on this forum somewhere)

You can skip Mobile Me, as it is a pay service.
You can skip the Apple Software Updater if you plan on checking for new versions of all Apple software yourself, or don't mind being out of date (I am frequently behind a few .X versions to ensure it works before I install it).

Yes it should work on XP, and can improve your performance if you don't need all the functionality.

There are other things to turn off if you need more performance as well that can be researched on other sites.

kornchild2002

Really though, is it going to increase performance by that much? All of those small background processes consume less than 25MB of RAM on my Windows nettop along with less than 1% of the CPU (which is a paltry dual-core 1.6GHz Atom chip). Is freeing up that amount of resources really going to do anything noticeable? iTunes itself is still going to run sluggish on Windows no matter what you do.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
thanks - the only Apple product I own are iPod Classics - I don't really need the background stuff and don't want Bonjour, but I can do a full install and just remove what I don't want (Bonjour and APSDaemon).

kornchild2002

Again, why? Is your PC really that hard up for resources that you need a spare 25MB of RAM? If so, I think you have other problems to worry about aside from completing a minimal iTunes install.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
Again, why? Is your PC really that hard up for resources that you need a spare 25MB of RAM? If so, I think you have other problems to worry about aside from completing a minimal iTunes install.
no reason - just curious if something like this is feasible since I see many of these ideas tossed around on internet. It's not a resources issue - I have more than enought space and RAM.