Harry Potter available from iTunes Music Store but not audible.com

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
Harry Potter is now available from iTunes Music Store (but not from audible.com) for prices ranging from $249 for full set of 7 to $33 to $50 (Half-Blood Prince) for individual books. ITMS is advertising as an exclusive. These are Jim Dale narrated.

See ebay for used or new CD versions that you can convert to iPod files. Some are Stephen Fry (UK version) narrated. Appears that bootleg versions of mp3 also available thru ebay.

Be sure to back up your Harry Potter files from iTunes Music Store as, unlike Audible.com, you cannot download but once.

rts

I just purchased the Potter books from iTunes.
Is there a way for me to have the books on two different computers?
I want to access them at work and home.
I also have a different ipod for each computer and would like to have them on both ipods.

What format are the books? Can I just copy them to each computer manually with a zip drive?
Is there some protection that will not allow them to be used on more than one computer or ipod?

Thanks.

robert

Retired
Poster in Apple Discussion reports ITMS Harry Potter locking up iPod

Anyone else have experience with ITMS Harry Potter?

I replied in Apple Discussion:
Curious, are the files mono? Try converting one to stereo to see if it continues to lock up your iPod. I know that the audible files that iTunes sells and audible sells are mono and play fine, but Harry Potter from ITMS is not an audible file. It appears that mono podcasts and some mono audiobooks lock up iPod.

To convert from mono to stereo, reset your import preferences to AAC, use whatever kbps your Harry Potter audio now is, and Select custom and check the stereo option. R click the songs one at a time and choose Convert to AAC.

Since, unlike audible.com, you can't download an ITMS selection again you would be wise to back up this file before converting AND in case you have a crash. Harry Potter costs too much to lose with a crash.

There was a way to change the ID3 tag to an older version which seemed to help -- but with iTunes5 I do not see that option on R click of the 'song'.

Suggest you, and everyone else report this to Apple at
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Maybe if Harry Potter causes enough complaints, Apple will fix the lock up problems.

I would recommend e-bay CDs (mp3 or standard audio) for anyone else buying Harry Potter and use first link in signature below for step by step to convert to iPod bookmarking file (has worked fine for me on Harry Potter).