Hard drive making clicking sound, is it normal ?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

simonching

After just one week of use, my 5G ipod Hard drive starting to makeing some funny clicking sound while access song/video.
It sounds similiart to clik wheel sound. alos, I can hear the HD is humming while accessing video files.
Is this normal ?

rockykabir

I once streamed a full DivX film from my 4G monochrome 20GB - a couple of days later, the HDD in the iPod failed. Read of that like you will but although I was fortunate enough for it to be replaced with a colour one, I kinda became wary of using the HDD too aggressively (i.e. when transferring files, streaming high quality movies etc..).

Obviously now that the 5G can play videos, I wonder whether the durability has improved?

Well you have your warranty so in case anything thing goes wrong, you should be covered...

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
If it is not too loud, then it is normal and to be expected. Videos usually require the hard drive to be constantly spinning due to their large sizes so that is normal as well. If you hear loud clunking sounds, then it may be a sign the hard drive is dying.

Sorry, but it's hard to help more without hearing it personally.

simonching

Thanks, filburt1,
my case is different from that post, my 5G ipod is still working but making some funny sound.

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
If it is really bothering you, I would suggest taking it to an Apple Store near you, provided you have one (and please don't go to some place like Best Buy where they won't know what they're talking about) and asking them to take a quick look and listen at it.

If you got it at some local retailer, you could always just exchange it and see if the new one has the same issue.

simonching

Thanks for advice, I'll give it for another few days, if it didn't go away, I think I'll take it to apple store to have it checked.