Hard disk on Ipod full: how to neatly save it on external disks?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Alviarin

Hi,

My hard disk of my Ipod is almost full. I don't want to permanently delete more songs than there on the ipod, so I have make some compromises.

I was planning on saving the whole content of the ipod disk on some DVD's so I can delete some songs on my Ipod, put on other songs and later on I can exchange songs which are on the DVD but not on the Ipod. But how do I do this best? Are there any tips?

Exemple. Let's just say I'm tired of Mariah Carey and I save her music on a DVD and delete her on my Ipod. I put other music on my Ipod and a few months later I want to listen to Mariah again, so I put back these songs and I delete Whitney Houston who is backed up on some CD.

So are there any tips to do ths neatly without any errors? I don't want to see that some songs have not been backed up but were permanently deleted...

ScottChapin

I'm assuming your computer does not have enough room. When you remove songs from the library, it does not automatically trash them. They stay in your iTunes directory, unless you elect to delete them in the second pop up window.

Personally, I bought a USB powered extrernal hard drive, and I peridodically copy the contents of my iTunes directory over to it.

cjmnews

Staff member
Or if he has the PC hard drive room, some smart playlists to swap music in and out would also be helpful.

Alviarin

I have plenty of room on my hard disk on the PC, but my Ipod is getting full (I never thought 60 Gig would be filled so easy), so I'm thinking of solutions to swap some songs without losing them permanently or go through a whole procedure to get them back on replacing other songs...

lebkin

I would have iTunes only update checked songs. Then uncheck the songs in your library that you don't want on your iPod. They will stay in the iTunes library, ready to be added back to the iPod whenever you want.

saiguanas

But be sure to back them up. I spent $80 on a 160GB external hard drive and use a program called syncback. It copies my documents, music, pictures, videos, and albums. I did this after my hard drive failed. It WILL happen! I have not tried to sync back to a new hard drive yet but atleast I know I can when the time comes.