• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Handbrake for Windows

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

meyerhaus

Chuck Norris ate my iPod
Anybody used this yet with a 60gb 5G? I am sick of downloading stuff, but will do it if it helps.

mluhring

I downloaded this yesterday and it seems to work really well. The CLI seems to be the only way to make a proper ipod video right now.

Here is a page with info that helped me out.

randompage.org/articles/2005/12/18/ripping-dvds-for-your-ipod-video

mluhring

Handbrake has a beta version for windows that seems to work well and is certainly as fast a videora without the problems with ipod firmware 1.1. I have converted two dvds and both work great on my ipod. I am running firmware version 1.1 on my 5G 60GB.

handbrake.m0k.org is were you can get the windows beta.

skywalk423

I tried this as well and it produced H.264 videos that played perfectly on firmware 1.1. The only thing that didn't work for me was 2-pass H.264 encoding ("-2" flag, crashed out before it could start the encode). With a little more work, this could be a great FREE alternative to QuickTime Pro for 1.1 users.

jefmcg

porschedude said:
There are other DVD rippers, handbrake probably isn't the best. Unless you have a mac. Hehehehe, suckers.
hmmm, due to a hardware failure I'm forced to temporarily use my laptop. I find the 2 software (eg DVD decrypter+videora) solution much more cumbersome than handbrake. Sure, it's faster, but I set handbrake going before I head to bed, and wake up in the morning and copy it to my pod - that's more than I can watch in 24 hours anyway.

With the PC solution, you have to come back and tweak halfway through, and clean up VOB files etc at the end.

Yay for handbrake on the PC!

joan