• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Handbrake 0.9.5 worth the wait

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Code Monkey

I never cared for the Apple Universal preset in the 0.9.4, the only "high resolution" setting we had for the better screens on recent i-Devices. File sizes were more than double, but quality wasn't all that much improved.

The new 0.9.5 build changes all that. I still don't know what the new touch preset looks like or the new universal preset looks like, but take a look at this:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7986/touchviphone3way.jpg

Top is the old 0.9.4 touch preset, middle the 0.9.4 universal preset, and bottom the 0.9.5 iPhone 4 preset. Although, yes, there is more aliasing on the touch preset when you compare the touch and universal, the general level of sharpness and detail is the same. In motion, the difference was barely discernable. However, not at all the case for the new iPhone 4 preset.

And the best part? Files sizes are about 80% what the old universal generated.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

As a follow up, the old touch/iphone preset (480p) performs identically to the touch preset in 0.9.5. Same file size and same quality. Looks like their work and optimization went into the higher definition encodes that will become the focus of the program, as they should.

It's still debatable if it makes a difference when viewed in motion that justifies more than double the file size, but I will say I felt like I had my own personal flat panel HD television watching stuff on it last night in bed. I'll probably start splitting and doubling encoding work: 480p for my kids stuff/copies and use the iPhone 4 preset for my stuff.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Sweet. I wondered when 0.9.5 would be released. I'll have to grab it today!

I've been using the ATV preset in 0.9.5 so I'll have to llok at the ATV 2 preset on 0.9.5. Sorry to see no support for PPC anymore but it doesn't really surprise me.