• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

h.264 export settings (via final cut express or qtamateur) for a working (!) ipod mp4

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

indiworks

Website
stationvideo.blogspot.com
thanks to madmaxmedia i can now tell you how i encoded our "stationvideo" via final cut express (without quicktime pro!) and got an "ipod ready" .mp4:

in fce (but this can also be done via "qtamateur"!)

export > using quicktime conversion > as format choose "mpeg-4", click "options"

for "file format" (top of the window) now choose "mp4" (an n o t "mp4 (isma)" since this one does not give you the h.264 option!)
video format: "h.264"
data rate: (i tried the "ipod maximum") "750 kbits/sec"
image size: "320 x 240 qvga"
frame rate: "30"
key frame every 24 frames (default)

now click "video options...":

here i changed the default setting "restrict profile(s) to:" from "main" (now deactivated!) to "baseline" (now activated!). i do not exactly know what this does and if it is important at all! i did it because the apple "videopodcasts" tutorial mentioned ipod support for "Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3"... but i can tell you that your h.264 encoded movie will work on an ipod using these options...

ok, back to the other options (still in the "h.264 video options" window):

encoding mode: i chose "best quality (multi-pass)". now click "ok".

you are back to the main "mp4 export settings" window. last thing to do: change from the "video" to the "audio" tab and change (!) the "output sample rate" from "44,100 khz" to "48,000 khz" (!), (i left the rest to its default settings: audio format: aac-lc (music), data rate: 128 kbps, channels: stereo, encoding quality: better).

i also did not activate/change the "streaming" tab and back in the video tab i left the "optimized for" option to "download".

what i got was a 22,8 mb file for our 3' 36'' "stationvideo".

i know there are many other ways of doing this, but i can tell you that madmaxmedia from this forum tested audio/video quality of the "stationvideo" on his new video ipod and he says "it works great!". so all mac users could try these settings, if you don't have qt pro you can use "qtamateur": file > batch export...

one last thing: i still have quicktime 7.0.2. i don't know if an update to 7.0.3 would make a difference when using the settings i used...

indiworks

Last edited:

All4Sky

Is this a faster method for getting h.264 instead of quicktime pro? quicktime pro is painfully slow. Thanks

G4Bruno

15 Year-Old Macaddict!
With the QT 7.0.3, iMovie, FCE, FCP, and all other QT encoding apps (including QTAmateur) will export to iPod settings. Just select iPod 320x240 on any of those programs when the drop-down format menu shows up.

Last edited:

minnesotatwins

this worked great for me. the only question is that if i have 16x9 movies, and i encode them 320x240, does this squish the movie or crop it?

indiworks

Website
stationvideo.blogspot.com
if you export from dv (720 x 576 which is like 1,25: 1) then your movie gets squished a bit since 320 x 240 is like 1,33:1 (and like 4:3, "old" tv).

but you don't really see it, if you don't look for it...

and if your dv movie at the end is cached for 16:9, then it's just the same as above, since you are still exporting a dv movie (720 x 576)!