Guide To Free Ringtones Using Only iTunes (PC)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

vinylkiller

got loads of songs on my laptop but just can't seem to think what songs to make as tones anyone got any tones they really like as ringtones??? and can we do the same for sms tones???

Germansuplex

What kind of music do you listen to?

I like soul/r&b/funk with good clavinet or guitar riffs. I have the opening riffs of Superstition and some talkbox segments from Roger Troutman as ringtones.

vinylkiller

well I'm a dj so I like lots of diff genres,wud like to make a few Beaty tones just the beat intro of songs as tones as 30 secs is all u need. Just wondered what all u guys are using.I have 3 so far,storm-time to burn,p diddy-last night & Calvin Harris-acceptable in the 80's

regadoodle

Germansuplex said:
Are your ringtones 30 seconds or less?
Yep! I have tried several times with a bunch of different ones. I don't understand what is wrong :confused:

vinylkiller

what tones do u want rega??? if u give me a list i will do them for u as i am a dj and my laptop is loaded with songs

kingtech

Website
ktsol.biz
Here is the deal .. just verified this on my new 3g .. renaming to .m4r works .. however .. you can not have a ringtone and a song in the library with the same name in the tag. Here is the steps I took:

1. Drag song to desktop from iTunes (so you can save the original)
2. Go into Info on the song in ITunes and change the name
3. Drag renamed song out to desktop
4. Delete the song from iTunes
5. change file extensionon renamed song to .m4r
6. Double click it gets added to ringtones playlist
7. (optional) Drag original song back into iTunes

Bottom line .. you cannot have a song and a ringtone with the same name. Not filename but rahter the name in the info tag. If you dont need to keep the original .. just drag it out .. rename to .m4r .. remove the song from iTunes .. then add the ringtone.

Make sure you go into devices and tell it to sync ringtones.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE:

I am finding that while you can get any song to show up in the iTunes Ringtones playlist. If the song is longer than :30 seconds it will not show up as available to sync with the iPhone.

Last edited:

leftyx

can't sync w/o losing songs, tv shows, movies, podcasts

The problem I have is simple. Once you get the m4r into itunes, you try to sync the ringtone and itunes displays a message about how u will lost all your music, tv shows and movies off your iphone if you do the sync. And you do lose all of it as it happened to me and a friend.

leftyx

Bump. Is nobody having problems syncing ringtones that they made???

leftyx

Bump again. Is there NOBODY here who can answer my question? 200 people have viewed this thread since I post up my question.
The problem I have is simple. Once you get the m4r into itunes, you try to sync the ringtone and itunes displays a message about how u will lost all your music, tv shows and movies off your iphone if you do the sync. And you do lose all of it as it happened to me and a friend.

noisyscott

leftyx

That happens if you have iTunes set to automatically sync your music collection w/ your iphone. Try connecting your iphone, go to the "Summary" tab in iTunes and then check the "Manually manage music and videos" option at the bottom.

ugashred

lounger
I have successfully converted one mp3 song as an iPhone ringtone and it works fine on the iPhone 3G. However, whenever I try to do more than one song, it shows 2 (same) of the new ringtone in the "Custom Section." However, in iTunes (both the media library and the iPhone ringtones section) the ringtones show up as separate the unique files.

Basically, my question is: How do I put more than 1 custom ringtone on my iPhone and have them work? I've downloaded some ringtones from Audiko.net and can't get more than 1 ringtone to work on my iPhone at a time.

Sparky_92

Thank god I have Garageband and a Mac. Takes me like 10 seconds to convert any MP3 to a RingTone.

leftyx

noisyscott said:
leftyx

That happens if you have iTunes set to automatically sync your music collection w/ your iphone. Try connecting your iphone, go to the "Summary" tab in iTunes and then check the "Manually manage music and videos" option at the bottom.
Scott, I think it's actually the opposite. I have my iTunes set to manually manage and sync my music collection. And I get the message if I try to click on sync ringtones.

I'm not home right now so I can't check but I will get back here tonight from my home PC.

Thanks for the response.

kenics

kingtech said:
Here is the deal .. just verified this on my new 3g .. renaming to .m4r works .. however .. you can not have a ringtone and a song in the library with the same name in the tag. Here is the steps I took:

1. Drag song to desktop from iTunes (so you can save the original)
2. Go into Info on the song in ITunes and change the name
3. Drag renamed song out to desktop
4. Delete the song from iTunes
5. change file extensionon renamed song to .m4r
6. Double click it gets added to ringtones playlist
7. (optional) Drag original song back into iTunes

Bottom line .. you cannot have a song and a ringtone with the same name. Not filename but rahter the name in the info tag. If you dont need to keep the original .. just drag it out .. rename to .m4r .. remove the song from iTunes .. then add the ringtone.

Make sure you go into devices and tell it to sync ringtones.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE:

I am finding that while you can get any song to show up in the iTunes Ringtones playlist. If the song is longer than :30 seconds it will not show up as available to sync with the iPhone.

I really appreciate your posting this update and I've tried a few variations on what you've posted here, and I can sync the ringtone, but it is not showing up on the iPhone.

So.... would you mind very much, editing to show the proper order of steps from the orginial post and included your modified steps. I just want to make sure I am doing this in the correct order.

Also, are you allowed to have more than 1 custom ringtone on the phone? is that my problem? I broke down and ba\ought Low b Flo Rida and also made a ringtone. So I have that one in there as well. Should I uncheck it for the sync, so my free tingtone is the only choice.

I sincerely appreciate any help. Thanks!