Guide To Free Ringtones Using Only iTunes (PC)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

I decided to give this a bump because the most recent version of iTunes has reverted to allowing this. At this point, it's not known whether it was deliberately added or if it is another oversight on Apple's part. I'm going with oversight, but enjoy it while it lasts. Custom ringtones are back!

Also, it's even easier, as you no longer need to use the step ten or after. After you name the .m4a extension to .m4r and add the ringtone to iTunes, you're done.

evera said:
sorry to be a nit-pick, but it's 99 cents, or .99 dollars. Not .99 cents.

Don't be sorry for being a nit-pick, just don't be one. :cool: (Afterall, I could point out the errors in your sentence(s), but I won't :D)

Last edited:

Helevitia

Right on Germansuplex! I'm one of the few that want free ringtones but don't want to hack. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!

Last edited:

MxChino

I did everything exactly by this guide with the newest version of itunes. It shows up on my phone through itunes, but when i try to set it on the phone, it doesnt show up on the list?

Helevitia

MxChino said:
I did everything exactly by this guide with the newest version of itunes. It shows up on my phone through itunes, but when i try to set it on the phone, it doesnt show up on the list?
Same here. I tried without step 10 onwards and then all steps. Neither worked. Whatfirmware do you need, if any? I have 1.1.1.

choitoy57

Website
choitoy.blogspot.com
Thanks for the tip Germansuplex. I just saw this on tuaw.com.

You did leave out a tiny detail though that might be causing the problems for those who can't get this to work.

Anyway, for those of you who are not able to get it to work, you need both the newest version of iTunes (7.5), and the newest firmware for the iPhone (1.1.2). Note that for many in the US, the iTunes auto updater still recognizes firmware 1.1.1 as the most current firmware, so you may have to manually go and find the 1.1.2 firmware (there is a download link on the tuaw.com webpage).

Anyway, I'm still a little scared about updating (even though I only have 3 custom ringtones, but I did not jailbreak), so if any of you decide to do this (on Windows Vista, as that is what I am running), let me know!

Germansuplex

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware you needed the most recent iPhone firmware as well. Kudos.

lpdude

why isnt the new firmware on apples website? Are there any good changes?

choitoy57

Website
choitoy.blogspot.com
lpdude said:
why isnt the new firmware on apples website? Are there any good changes?
It sounds like the only major changes are international language support (for the German and upcoming French iPhones), and they closed the exploit in safari that allowed you to jailbreak 1.1.1 over the safari browser on the iPhone (though the jailbreak itself patches this exploit).

Helevitia

choitoy57 said:
Thanks for the tip Germansuplex. I just saw this on tuaw.com.

You did leave out a tiny detail though that might be causing the problems for those who can't get this to work.

Anyway, for those of you who are not able to get it to work, you need both the newest version of iTunes (7.5), and the newest firmware for the iPhone (1.1.2). Note that for many in the US, the iTunes auto updater still recognizes firmware 1.1.1 as the most current firmware, so you may have to manually go and find the 1.1.2 firmware (there is a download link on the tuaw.com webpage).

Anyway, I'm still a little scared about updating (even though I only have 3 custom ringtones, but I did not jailbreak), so if any of you decide to do this (on Windows Vista, as that is what I am running), let me know!
thanks, updating to 1.1.2 now. And for those that are wondering, 1.1.2 is not out via iTunes yet for US customers. You need manually download it and then hit shift+restore in iTunes. Then point to the new 1.1.2 firmware and you are all set.

I'll report in a few to tell you if this works for me...

Germansuplex

So, with the ability to edit older posts gone, I figure I'll just repost it with the updated instructions:

1. You will need iTunes version 7.1.5 and the most recent iPhone firmware, version 1.1.2. Update at your own discretion.
2. Make sure that in Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing, you have AAC set as the filetype. 128kbps is perfect, any higher quality probably won't make a difference on the iPhone's speaker.
3. Find any non-protected song in iTunes you want to use for the ringtone.
4. To choose what section of the file you want to use as the ringtone, right-click on the song and select Get Info -> Options -> Start/Stop times to edit the file's to the start/stop times of your choice. I use 30 second clips or less, though you could probably use longer clips. I have yet to try it.
5. Right-click on the track you edited and choose "Convert Selection To AAC". A new file will be created and it will be the portion of the original file you specified. This will end up as your ringtone.
6. Right-click on the original song file and clear the start/end times by unticking the checkboxes next to the times so they'll go back to playing their normal times. If you sync your iPod and go to listen to a song and it cuts out after 30 seconds, you most likely forgot to reset the start/stop times!
7. Right-click on the new clip you made (it should appear directly under the original song and have the length that you created, i.e. 30 seconds) and choose "Show in Windows Explorer". This opens a browser window with the new clip you created. Minimize the window.
8. Now, right-click on the file in iTunes and choose "Remove" then "Keep File". You want to delete it from the library, but keep it on your computer.
9. Bring up the browser window with the new file again, and rename the extension of the file from ".m4a" to ".m4r", i.e. "ringtone.m4a" to "ringtone.m4r". If you don't have extensions showing in windows, you will have to go to tools -> folder options -> view -> and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types box". This will show you the extensions of files so you can rename it.
10. Double-click on the file and it will be added to the ringtones menu in iTunes. Click on the ringtone graphic on the left side of iTunes and you should see the tone in the list. Connect your iPhone and sync any or all ringtones.

Of note, once you click on the .m4r file and it to ringtones, iTunes will move the file to a ringtones folder in your iTunes music library if you have iTunes set to organize your music library.

As I mentioned, you can always use a third-party audio editing tool to add fade-in or fade-out effects to your ringtones to make them sound nicer.

Last edited:

Germansuplex

Yeah, I've done it and it works perfectly.

The iPhone now sorts the pre-installed and custom ringtones into separate categories as well.

Last edited:

monkeyking84

MonkeyPodder
How did you get iTunes 7.5.1? I downloaded just today, and it's still 7.5.0.20. Can't get my ringtones to sync...

Helevitia

monkeyking84 said:
How did you get iTunes 7.5.1? I downloaded just today, and it's still 7.5.0.20. Can't get my ringtones to sync...
I think that is 7.5.1. I have the same version you have and it works fine for me.

One last thing I had to do to get it to work was uncheck the ringtones, sync, then recheck ringtones and sync again. After that, it shows up under ringtones before the rest of the ringtones under a new category called "custom". Hope this helps.

lpdude

Why isn't there an update for the new firmware in itunes yet? dont they usually put it on itunes immediately?

Helevitia

lpdude said:
Why isn't there an update for the new firmware in itunes yet? dont they usually put it on itunes immediately?
Maybe they will never release it for US as I think it mostly pertains to European customers? *shrugs*

lpdude

But dont you need this upgrade in order to get the custom ringtones? Along with the newest version of iTunes?

Helevitia

lpdude said:
But dont you need this upgrade in order to get the custom ringtones? Along with the newest version of iTunes?
Yes. You need to find the file and download it. I got mine here.

You then need to shift+restore(hold down the shift key while clicking "restore" in iTunes). Point to the file you downloaded, follow instructions.