Griffin Evolve

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Anyone pony up for this?

I'm impressed by the iLounge review. I went to see one in person at Best Buy, and was taken aback by the rubber buttons and rubber back of the speakers?

How does this seem to impact the quality of the system for $300?

I really want one. It would easily replace my old original inmotion speaker system, especially if I could also connect the stereo to it..., but am looking at getting some real world comments from people. Any out there?

PeariTouch

I bought Evolve at Best Buy yesterday after a few days of thinking. I have dinner parties for friends quite often so I wanted something better than music from living room. No cable to get annoyed at dining area. Music quality is not the greatest but far better than some speakers in $100 - 150 range when I tried it at store. Anyway, this was a perfect solution for me. I like the clean line design also (except two antennas - there should have been a better way to "hide" them).

So far, I love it. It is not cheap but I used Best Buy coupon sent me via mail - got 10% discount at least. I don't think Amazon has started carrying it yet.

Last edited:

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Stu,
As I type I have one on the way to the UK. When I saw the Evolve at MWSF in January I was interested in the product. After seeing endless, almost clone, speaker docks on stands at the show and generally being sent to sleep the Evolve was a breath of fresh air, to me at least.

The ability of the speakers to be charged just by sitting them onto the base station with nothing to plug in was good, as was the idea that just using one speaker with both left and right channel playing in mono mode, meant that I could take one speaker into the garden for listening to.

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have it.

PeariTouch

Stu,

As early Xmas gift might work :). I didn't realize you live in Loveland, CO. I am in Ft. Collins actually. If you don't have 10% coupon, let me know. I have another one somewhere, I can email it to you but I think it is expired on Nov 17.

I got everything about iPod in Best Buy in Loveland - for some reason, tax rate is lower over there.

If there is anybody who knows how EQ in remote work, please post information!

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Loveland has a slightly lower tax rate, especially if things are consider "out of city"

I should have multiple coupons on way to me, thanks for the offer.

Bob, I look forward to a review from you.

I'll never talk my wife into this system, maybe it will go down in price in half a year....

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Not sure if you have seen the ad on the main site for Eos Wireless system. I looked and initially it looks quite interesting but a closer check of the specs/video show that the satellite speakers are only wireless with regards to the transmission of the music - they still need to be plugged into a wall power point!
At least the Evolve can boast that it's speakers are totally wire free both for music and power...

While Jeremy has done a review on the main site I may well write something up for Backstage - if not I'll post my impressions in here.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
As this is a US version I had to rummage around to find a suitable lead to connect the AC to the power adaptor - in the end I used the power lead off my PC as a temporary make-do. I knew the PC would come in useful one day... :D
It's typical - I had a box full of old leads which I know had at least three of the 3 pin IEC 'kettle' style leads in. I threw them all out a while back. I expected Griffin to perhaps use the "Telefunken" figure 8 style of socket on the power adaptor...... wrong!

The unit is very easy to set up and after a recommended four hour initial charge time for the speakers they were soon being carried around the house to try out. The volume from the unit is not wall shakingly loud but maintains a clear sound even at it's loudest setting. Bass is not too heavy (which is my preference) and with various genres of music the Evolve seems to perform very well.

The unit shipped without an included dock adaptor for the iPod touch but, with a spare set of black dock masking films from a JBL On Stage in my oddments box, the Apple universal dock adaptor supplied with the touch will do until Griffin starts to ship their own adaptors for the touch.

The RF remote works well through several walls and the speaker (in mono mode) was still clear even at 80-100 feet from the base station. As my rear garden is 80 odd feet long the range of the Evolve is more than adequate.

I think the grey rubber buttons and back/trim is to provide some splash proofing for the speakers should they be used near water. The speakers are NOT weather proof but I'd guess they designed in some degree of water resistance to such things as the power switch on the speakers? Only my guess on this...
I don't find the grey that bad - it breaks up the gloss black finish nicely IMO.

Overall I am very pleased with the Evolve - I envisage getting a lot of use out of it and would certainly say if you want a wireless speaker system for your iPod for use all around the home/garden then the Evolve may fill your requirements.

Last edited:

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Want... One... So... Bad...

Stupid wife, holding that whip.... She can spend $300 on Dog events, but I can't on my iPod. The joys of Compromise in Marriage :D

I'll start working on her slowly.

Thanks for the comments Bob.

rumpled

The Evolve is just a beauty!! I'm wondering though, how does it measure up to the Audiostation/Pure-Fi Elite? Are the aesthetics and the functionality enough to compromise on the sound quality? Anyone..?
I have the Pure-Fi Elite, but this has stolen my heart for many a night :eek: Wondering how the Pure-Fi Dream will match up to them both!

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Been using the Evolve for a few days now. If you are after a good hi-fi sound then go for a wired system. In use I have noticed that depending on where the speakers are located there is sometimes a momentary interruption in the signal between the base station and the speakers, especially if you happen to move between the base station and speakers. There is a very faint hiss present but this is to be expected after all - it's wireless...
Now this may not satisfy many who will probably think that such interruptions/sound quality are not acceptable for a unit costing $299.
But I got this unit for it's speaker mobility - so a slight reduction in 'performance' in the situations I will use the system is fine. I have a 'proper' hi-fi for serious listening.

To be able to pick up a speaker or speakers and move them anywhere you happen to want music, if your home is not fully wired for sound, is great. Come the summer, taking them outside to annoy the neighbours have audio alfresco, is going to be a bonus too.