Grado SR60i Review

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sparkee

I though I would treat myself with a new set of good headphones and decided on the entry level audiophile cans, the Grado SR60i. Wow!!! Do these sound great! Kind of ugly, but the sound more than makes up for it. They are an "open" design which is what I wanted so I can hear outside noises at moderate volume levels. This also lets others hear your music when played fairly loud and they are fairly close to you. The open design also opens up the sound stage a lot, almost like being in the room with the band.

The bass is very different from my Bose which is muddy but deep. The Bose have almost too much bass for me but their noise canceling is the best out there. The Grados have lively highs with "punchy' base which does distort no matter how high the volume. Either you will like the bass or hate it. I find it very refreshing, it still thumps but with out dirtying up the mids and highs. This gives the instruments much more separation and clarity. Probably not great if you like thumping rap, but great for rock and jazz/blues, even country and blue grass. I especially like the sound of acoustic instruments with these.

I was having doubts on the bass after I ordered them since the SR80i's are noted for have more bass. Some claim the extra bass on the 80's results in a little loss on the highs but is much better than the 60's. Now that I have the 60's I am very please with my purchase, the 60's have plenty of bass for me. Higher end models may require a headphone amp to help with levels and clarity out of portable players like iPods, the 60's do just fine on their own. And once they get burnt in they will only get better.

Other than their looks the only down fall I can see is the rather thick, 10 foot cable on them. They are intended for home stereo use. Since I intend on using them outdoors for walks and such I am going to have to shorten it to about 3 ft. A minor issue.

These are a bargain entry level for high end headphone in the US at $80 although they go for a premium outside the US. And due to shipping restrictions they can not be shipped by US stores. I found them on sale here in Canada for $110. I highly recommend giving the Grado SR60i's a try.

Last edited:

j19861986

Calibrated Equalizer for Winamp and SR60i

i am a new member can't post links here it is /file/62437921/RTEQ_Equalizer_for_winamp_(calibrated_for_SR60i).exe
at wupload

It is a calibrated equalizer for Winamp and SR60i (DSP plugin and configured, and have 127 bands)... It is calibrated for use in very close flat response.

Why not try it out if you have Winamp and SR60i ;)

You must extract them in Winamp\Plugin and select the RTEQ in DSP section in winamp config