Good Hardcore/Emo/Punk

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

raine

SY Fanboy
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
822
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Vermont
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Here's a fine example of a great band. The Smashing Pumpkins. They were goth-rock, which I generally don't like, and they were awesome. But then they over-produced themselves, and they started to suck. Then they broke up after Machina II I think. And Billy's new band, Zwan, was awesome. But A Perfect Circle, well, they weren't so awesome.

I seriously can't tell Emo bands apart. That's a sign of something. When every song is about a relationship, that is also wrong. Or about dying, or something generally sad. But just because a song is about a relationship doesn't make it bad. Radiohead's "Black Star" is about a decaying relationship, but it's an excellent song. I like TheSunTheSea's music, also Enjoi's music. Yeah, Death Cab is semi-emo. But not as bad.

Led Zeppelin had sad songs. But to call them emo would be an insult to them.
 

davedey

New member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
121
Points
0
TheSunTheSea said:
Explain to me how these faux rock emo bands are better than the ones I mentioned? Give me a solid explanation with facts. Face it: the emo/screamo/hardcore scene can best be explained as a scene where the music takes a backseat to the haircuts and piercings. It's all rubbish.

...and before you attempt at upping your vocabulary with words like "contridicting", learn how to spell them first. I wasn't contradicting myself - I was merely stating that having one's one musical opinion is fine, but some styles of music are better than others.
i never said they were better, and i never said anything u sadi was bad (infact i like quite a few of them) and im not disagreeing with you that sure some emo bands are bad, it just seems that you labeling eo as a specific genre of music, and that genre sucks, but infact emo isn't as specific genre as i stated before, also your saing that soem music is bad, all music is good, just becuaseu dont like it dosent mean its bad, since it out there obviosuly someone likes it, so it must be good to someone.

second, f*ck if i care if my spelling is wrong, how about you get of your f*cking grammer soapbox, and understand that as long as i get my idea across it dosent matter if its spelt right.

raine said:
Here's a fine example of a great band. The Smashing Pumpkins. They were goth-rock, which I generally don't like, and they were awesome. But then they over-produced themselves, and they started to suck. Then they broke up after Machina II I think. And Billy's new band, Zwan, was awesome. But A Perfect Circle, well, they weren't so awesome.

I seriously can't tell Emo bands apart. That's a sign of something. When every song is about a relationship, that is also wrong. Or about dying, or something generally sad. But just because a song is about a relationship doesn't make it bad. Radiohead's "Black Star" is about a decaying relationship, but it's an excellent song. I like TheSunTheSea's music, also Enjoi's music. Yeah, Death Cab is semi-emo. But not as bad.

Led Zeppelin had sad songs. But to call them emo would be an insult to them.
hmm ive heard lots of happy emo, who ever said emo has to be sad? and who ever said it had to be about relationships? obviosuly you haven't really heard that much emo and seem to be insulting it without accually exploring the genre, becuase if you had you wouldn't have seemed so ingorant.

whatever im done. some people are just to closeminded or set in the idea that there allways right, that there to annoying to reason/argue with
 

raine

SY Fanboy
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
822
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Vermont
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
I was giving an example, nimbus. What makes you think I would want to explore such a genre?

Song that evokes emotion well: Pearl Jam's Given To Fly. One of my favorite songs, has fantastic lyrics. Not about anything sad, about redemption. In a sense. It's just a masterpiece lyrically.

Song that evokes emotion poorly: Dashboard Confessional's Vindicated. This song sucks. It has awful lyrics that I, the uninventive one, could write. They aren't creative whatsoever, and the musical style sucks. But because emo bands sing about things that are generally recognized as sad and depressing, it makes people feel sad.

Of course not all emo is sad, but it all sounds the same. I once was forced to listen to about 45 straight minutes of AFI, and it was one of the worst things ever. Couldn't tell one song from another. I'll take Celine Dion over emo. Maybe. That's a tough choice. But it's called emo for a reason. These aren't happy songs, mostly. It's a genre that's a waste of time. Except Death Cab for Cutie. Killer band, but not one of my favorites.

Plenty of songs have emotion, but that doesn't make them emo. There There isn't a sad song at all. I don't even know what Yorke is singing about, but it almost makes me cry. The song is so deep in its musical elements. Emo is simple, easy to write, and therefore sucks.
 

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
Joined
May 11, 2003
Messages
120
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Denver, Colorado
raine said:
I was giving an example, nimbus. What makes you think I would want to explore such a genre?

Song that evokes emotion well: Pearl Jam's Given To Fly. One of my favorite songs, has fantastic lyrics. Not about anything sad, about redemption. In a sense. It's just a masterpiece lyrically.

Song that evokes emotion poorly: Dashboard Confessional's Vindicated. This song sucks. It has awful lyrics that I, the uninventive one, could write. They aren't creative whatsoever, and the musical style sucks. But because emo bands sing about things that are generally recognized as sad and depressing, it makes people feel sad.

Of course not all emo is sad, but it all sounds the same. I once was forced to listen to about 45 straight minutes of AFI, and it was one of the worst things ever. Couldn't tell one song from another. I'll take Celine Dion over emo. Maybe. That's a tough choice. But it's called emo for a reason. These aren't happy songs, mostly. It's a genre that's a waste of time. Except Death Cab for Cutie. Killer band, but not one of my favorites.

Plenty of songs have emotion, but that doesn't make them emo. There There isn't a sad song at all. I don't even know what Yorke is singing about, but it almost makes me cry. The song is so deep in its musical elements. Emo is simple, easy to write, and therefore sucks.
Very well put. I agree 100%
 

[Nelophobic]

New member
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
22
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Cleveland, OH
Website
nelophobic.tk
Hardcore:
- Norma Jean
- Poison The Well
- Converge
- Darkest Hour
- As I Lay Dying
- As We Fight
- Evergreen Terrace
- Every Time I Die
- Haste the Day
- Nevea Tears
- Underoath

Punk:
- Rise Against
- Millencolin
- Green Day
- The Used
- Finch
- Letter Kills
- The Ataris

Emo:
- Dead Poetic
- The Postal Service
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Dashboard Confessional
- Thursday
- Taking Back Sunday
- My Chemical Romance
 

Boaguy

New member
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
132
Points
0
Age
69
Location
Florida
Website
homepage.mac.com
^Whoa...lots of christian bands in that list (bands I like too...) didn't know they were well known. hmm....why cant we all just leave alone eachother on music. Music is a taste, everybodys is different, nobody is ever going to have the same taste and you can't change other peoples. Just enjoy your music and stay out of other peoples. now on to the subject

I like:

Thursday
Norma Jean
Thrice
Deap Poetic
Blindside
Zao
Emery
Fitch

Some good songs from these bands are:

Thursday: For The Workforce Drowning
Norma Jean: Memphis will be layed to waste, Face:Face
Thrice: Paper Tigers, The Artist In The Ambulance, The Red Death, A Subtle Dagger, Identity Crisis & Deadbolt (too many to name...its so sad they are breaking up)
Blindside: Invert, About a burning fire, Eye of the storm, follow you down, time will change your heart & midnight
Dead Poetic: The Dream Club Murderers, Taste the red hands, new medicines
Emery: Walls
Finch: Project mayhem
 

newtype

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
113
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Some good punk bands..

The Clash (Of course)
NOFX
Bad Religion
Screeching Weasel
Bouncing Souls
Rancid
Op Ivy
Social Distortion
Pennywise
Teen Idols

EDIT: Rise Against, Millencolin, and Green Day are good too :p

There are many, many more, I'm sure...
 
Last edited:

xunfadingx

straight edge soldier
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
48
Points
0
Location
indiana
I'm a week late on this, but whatever...

hardcore/metalcore/whatever:

Champion
Embrace Today
In the Face of War
The Chariot
Norma Jean
Zao
Scarlet
Spitfire
Jesus Wept
Bloody Sunday
Unearth
In Due Time
Seventh Star
Overcome
(old) Hopesfall
Nodes of Ranvier
Josiah
Kingston Falls
Throwdown
Figure Four
Love Is Red
Symphony In Peril
xLooking Forwardx
Acme
Unbroken
Stretch Arm Strong
God Forbid
Comeback Kid
Still Remains
No Innocent Victim

Indie and Emo:
Starflyer 59
Lucero
Pernice Brothers
Iron and Wine
Pedro the Lion
Low
Further Seems Forever
Cool Hand Luke
Anberlin
The Juliana Theory
Movies With Heroes
Denison Witmer

Punk:
Squad Five-O
MxPx
Rancid
Rise Against
Only Crime
Seven Seconds
Minor Threat
Fall Out Boy
Ghoti Hook
 

gko240813

New member
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
47
Points
0
Age
31
You people spend too much time paying attn. to genres. Good music is good music, no? I never knew music was bad b/c of it's genre.
 

acoustictech

New member
Joined
Sep 3, 2004
Messages
7
Points
0
TheSunTheSea said:
I was merely stating that having one's one musical opinion is fine, but some styles of music are better than others.
That has got to be the lamest thing I've read in this forum. Your personal opinion of what styles of music are superior to others is YOUR personal opinion. That's like me saying "It's nice that everyone has there own favorite color, but lets face it, green is obviously better than everything else."
 

raine

SY Fanboy
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
822
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Vermont
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Actually, he's right. I wouldn't recommend flaming him as a way to get liked, either. Especially when you're brand new. Flame a style of music all you want, but not members. Anyway, there are styles that are better. What's great about pop punk... NOTHING!
 

acoustictech

New member
Joined
Sep 3, 2004
Messages
7
Points
0
raine said:
Actually, he's right. I wouldn't recommend flaming him as a way to get liked, either. Especially when you're brand new. Flame a style of music all you want, but not members.
First thing. I'm not exactly trying to make best friends with online strangers. This is a forum... meaning a place to discuss things and express opinions right?

Anyway, there are styles that are better. What's great about pop punk... NOTHING!
Another prime example of a 'personal opinion.' Don't tell someone not to flame another person's opinion and then try and force your opinion of musical styles on the whole world by saying something like "What's great about pop punk... NOTHING!." That's just a subtle way of saying "anyone that enjoys pop punk has bad musical taste."

All I'm saying is everyone has their own personal opinion on what music styles are better than others. But there is no universal rule that says "This music is better than that music... it is a fact." It's different with every person.
 

Lone

A man who likes his taffy
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
591
Points
0
Fellas, acoustic is right. It's called 'taste' for a reason. Some like it, some don't.
 

raine

SY Fanboy
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
822
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Vermont
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
No, there is literally nothing good about pop punk. Really. I don't care about friends, don't flame people. We're arguing music styles, and then you have to come in here. Yeesh.
 

acoustictech

New member
Joined
Sep 3, 2004
Messages
7
Points
0
lol. ok the ignorance is too much. why not jump straight into "my personal opinion of music applies to everyone."
 

altcountryman

no depression
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
366
Points
0
Location
Madtown, WI

raine

SY Fanboy
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
822
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Vermont
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Okay, tell me, what's good about pop punk? That's the only category of music with nothing good whatsoever. Unless you count how much money they make and how many pop crap fans love them.
 
Top