Good Hardcore/Emo/Punk

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iChip

Good Hardcore/Emo/Punk/other great music

Whats up folks. First post. Welcome to me :D
I hail from Charlotte, NC and am glad to be here. Just trying to get some thoughts from folks on my first post. What are folks' favorite Hardcore/punk/emo bands. And NO, Blink 182 is not Punk.

My Votes:
Thrice
Thurday
Get UP Kids
Jets to Brazil
Burns out Bright
Deth Cab for Cutie
POstal Service
Red House Painters
Modest Mouse
GlassEater
Early November
COHEDD AND CAMBRIA

that good for now.

Last edited:

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Hold on. Modest Mouse isn't hardcore/crap/poo. They're a creative, awesome alternative rock band, as is the Postal Service. Just to distinguish, for all those who dislike emo.

MuzakMan

Seriously. Modest Mouse DOES NOT belong in that group.

Ozma is a great Emo-ish band.

Also Julianna Theory, though I'm not quite sure where they fall. The Anniversary is good also.

siisgood00

Face Melter.
Man, Coheed rocks. Def. my favorite band right now.

Everyone listen to the song "Everything Evil" by them!

davedey

no joke i was just listening to EE as i read this, check out my sig for most of my favourite music, it might not all fall under harcore/punk/emo but most of it falls under what your listening to (hasent been updated for like a week, so theres like 50 new songs to add :D)

A5H

Stories and comets are ace.
Check out some demos at www.storiesandcomets.co.uk
If any people in the UK want the album, it's in all good stores.
For people across the pond I'm not sure but if you can't find it post on their forums or e-mail the webmaster....

Ash.

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
Re: Good Hardcore/Emo/Punk/other great music

iChip said:
Whats up folks. First post. Welcome to me :D
I hail from Charlotte, NC and am glad to be here. Just trying to get some thoughts from folks on my first post. What are folks' favorite Hardcore/punk/emo bands. And NO, Blink 182 is not Punk.

My Votes:
Thrice
Thurday
Get UP Kids
Jets to Brazil
Burns out Bright
Deth Cab for Cutie
POstal Service
Red House Painters
Modest Mouse
GlassEater
Early November
COHEDD AND CAMBRIA

that good for now.
Red House Painters are definitely not emo. There's no doubt their songs are heartfelt and somber, but they're not whiney prats like most emo artists with no talent ;)

I wouldn't put Postal Service/Modest Mouse in their either. I think you're getting emo/punk confused with indie rock. They're very distinct styles of music

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Sweet. Nothing like backup. Death Cab is another great band, and doesn't really belong. Basically, Emo is just bands that have something to say and do it poorly. Because if Radiohead sucked, they'd be emo. Same with Modest Mouse. But Modest Mouse has the most deep lyrics. I mean, 3rd Planet, wow, amazing song. And that's the opener. Next thing you know we'll be seeing Pearl Jam in these lists.

davedey

raine said:
Emo is just bands that have something to say and do it poorly
wow if i didn't know better id say you were ######ed, so your saying emo as a genre only applys to sucky bands? wow, do u have something to learn, emotional (emo) music is anything that invokes feelings, aka causing emotions, :rolleyes:

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
davedey said:
wow if i didn't know better id say you were ######ed, so your saying emo as a genre only applys to sucky bands? wow, do u have something to learn, emotional (emo) music is anything that invokes feelings, aka causing emotions, :rolleyes:
See, that's where you and some 15-22 year olds in this country are wrong. Artists like Radiohead, Red House Painters, the Smiths, American Football, Owen, At the Drive-In, Belle and Sebastian, the Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division, New Order, Jeff Buckley, Morrissey, Interpol, REM, Ryan Adams, the Stills, Coldplay, the Sundays, Mazzy Star, Elliot Smith, etc are all either emotional artists or have a ton of emotional songs. What makes them different than faux punk/rock bands like Thrice, Taking Back Sunday, Finch, Song of the Year, Dashboard Confessional or any other crap band emocore/hardcore group is that the bands I mentioned first actually have talent.

I know everyone can have their own musical opinions, but myself, raine, and hoards of others who actually have some knowledge of music know that the group of emo/pop-punk/sadcore/hardcore/crapcore bands are worthless for the most part. They will be forgotten in a few years because:

a) Their lyrics aren't sincere (if you want emotional, sincere lyrics, look up Morrissey/the Smiths. You'll learn a lot)

b) They are tools for the record industry. These bands are incredibley easy to market because they all pretty much sound alike. It's comparable to the grunge explosion of the early 90s, except for the fact that most grunge bands were actually good (lyrically and musically)

davedey

TheSunTheSea said:
See, that's where you and some 15-22 year olds in this country are wrong. Artists like Radiohead, Red House Painters, the Smiths, American Football, Owen, At the Drive-In, Belle and Sebastian, the Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division, New Order, Jeff Buckley, Morrissey, Interpol, REM, Ryan Adams, the Stills, Coldplay, the Sundays, Mazzy Star, Elliot Smith, etc are all either emotional artists or have a ton of emotional songs. What makes them different than faux punk/rock bands like Thrice, Taking Back Sunday, Finch, Song of the Year, Dashboard Confessional or any other crap band emocore/hardcore group is that the bands I mentioned first actually have talent.

I know everyone can have their own musical opinions, but myself, raine, and hoards of others who actually have some knowledge of music know that the group of emo/pop-punk/sadcore/hardcore/crapcore bands are worthless for the most part. They will be forgotten in a few years because:

a) Their lyrics aren't sincere (if you want emotional, sincere lyrics, look up Morrissey/the Smiths. You'll learn a lot)

b) They are tools for the record industry. These bands are incredibley easy to market because they all pretty much sound alike. It's comparable to the grunge explosion of the early 90s, except for the fact that most grunge bands were actually good (lyrically and musically)

a) hmm are you assuming i haven't heard of the smiths/morrissey? what that ####? i mean who hasnt? and i still classify them as emo, that has nothing to do with my post, just becuase maybe i calssify something u dont like as emo dosent mean anything of it, you seem to be confused

b) hmm who are tools of the industry? i didn't say any band names, your somewhat confused saying as everything that i label as emo sucks but dont even know what i label as emo?

wow the first part of your post was sooo informitive, listing off names of bands? does that make you cool? cus i can do the same thing, and second maybe you think those bands are something i haven't heard of but i can tell you that i have.

hmm you have some music knowlege becuase you can name bands and classify them in different genres as me? i accually say that there is emo everything from emo pop to emo rock to emo classical (it can happen) so why are you being such a ####head?

try harder nexyt time, but for the time being your arguing against me, with something i never stated, jsut because you think your music is better than mine

Last edited:

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
See, I don't think my music is better than yours. I mentioned in my last post that we all can have different musical opinions. I just felt it was incorrect for the topic starter to throw in the Red House Painters, Death Cab, Postal Service, etc into the emo style. I'm sorry that my impression of emo bands are kids who wear tight black shirts, have gauges in their ears, have horrible taste in music, and love to whine about everything. Please enlighten me since you're so in tune with your "emo-self"

davedey

hmm, since sterotypes are allways right... it allways ####es me off, sorry but i would consider myself an emo kid *gasp* but i dont fall under that black tight shirt sterotype (accually ok ill give u that one) but i dont have me ears periced, nor have a terrible taste in music (subjective i know, but i dont think any music is bad as long as atleast 1 person can rock out to it, and do there thing) and i dont whine, ever. it just seems that your against something because its popular (ever wonder why its popular, cus im not a teenie boper) cus u say everyone from 15-22 is wrong living in "this country" (muhahaha im canadian) is wrong. just stop keeping your music on a pedsteal becuase u think your music is good and others is wrong, and contridicting yourself (saying u think everyone has different tastes in music which is good, then saying emo kids have horrible tastes)

enjoilax

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE IS SORT OF EMO.

GET OVER IT.

And i the only music i dislike is over produced, super pop culture bands

Dont hate because its popular.

iChip

Wow- Didnt mean to spur an all out emo war. I was just throwing myself out there.

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
Explain to me how these faux rock emo bands are better than the ones I mentioned? Give me a solid explanation with facts. Face it: the emo/screamo/hardcore scene can best be explained as a scene where the music takes a backseat to the haircuts and piercings. It's all rubbish.

...and before you attempt at upping your vocabulary with words like "contridicting", learn how to spell them first. I wasn't contradicting myself - I was merely stating that having one's one musical opinion is fine, but some styles of music are better than others.

Last edited: