Good bets for jpop lovers?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Anybody into Japanese pop? I've got one Ayumi Hamasaki (sp?) song and a few by Utada Hikaru. In fact, any kind of modern Japanese music that people might like would be great. This sort of thing is difficult to search for when you don't know what to look for.

reorx24

Dwarven god of yore
The only j-pop i listen to is Judy and Mary...partly because they do anime themes. Judy and Mary are really good

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
Cibo Matto is the best Japanese band ever, although I think the girls were living in NYC when their albums were made. Check them out especially, Stereotype A...brilliant album!

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Awesome guys, thanks. I think I did randomly download a Morning... track and it was um, unique. Cibo Matto, will do. Now Judy and Mary, that sounds like a couple of drag queen friends of mine. ;o) Anybody else addicted to Pocky?

stasyna

PeacePod
Look up any Ghibli OSTs. More instrumental though. Porco Rosso is a favourite.

Yokko Kanno is godly at making music.

stasyna

PeacePod
Yeah no problem.

I dont know individual artists sorry.

Im more into the instrumental aspect of it. Those folks can really put together a nice score.

cdjapan ( google it ) has most of the ghibli soundtracks.
and the kanno dude is usually eletronica/techno, but he assembles very nice songs.

Hope you like my suggestions.

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Yes, I'm gonna go check that stuff out. Plus I work in Chinatown (NYC), so finding a source for good imports shouldn't be too hard. I'm skairt of the RIAA, so I won't be downloading anytime soon (it's my boss's computer and I wouldn't want to get him in trouble).

SalsaVibe

look.. I don't know about the replies.. but here are your BEST BETS...

CIBO MATTO!!!!!!!!!!!!
PIZZICATO FIVE!!!!!!

this is all you need...

Squibbles

BoA
Maki Goto
Koda Kumi
Utada Hikaru
Aya Matsuura
Ayumi Hamasaki

Those are some good ones.

SalsaVibe

Oh Hell NiTro.. You know about Cibo Matto?

Have you ever seen them Live..... probably one of THE BEST shows I ever saw.. I talked to Yuka and Sean Lennon while they were still going out and they were so down to earth and terrific to talk to......

Its sad that the group no longer plays together...

Have you checked out Yuka's solo stuff??
how about Miho's Solo stuff ? they are both EXCELLENT!!!!!

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Okay, whoever makes the recommendation with the most exclamation points, I'll buy that CD first. So far Salsa is winning. :)

thesexybeast

anyone ever heard the song Chikyuugi? or Kimi to onaji aozora? by Yumi Matsuzawa from the new Saint Seiya Hades. im not sure she's in the category of j-pop but i think close enough, these 2 songs are really good!!!

sfm

a little late in coming but

i dont know if its good or bad that so many people only know of cibo matto and pizzicato five as jpop -- as 2 bands that have really focused on success outside of japan, you could argue that they arent really jpop at all -- but anyway, here are a few more possibilities if you are interested in getting into jpop...

if you are into straight rock and roll kind of music you could check out:
spitz
okuda tamio
ulfuls
puffy
glay

if you are into kind of upbeat synth and guitar music you might like:
everylittlething
hamasaki ayumi
tm revolution
globe

there are spate of new rap and hip hop groups too
dragon ash is an interesting group

just like american popular music, there is a lot of good and bad in jpop -- if you enjoy single songs more than following a group over the years, then there are lots of one hit wonders coming out each month with catchy songs -- the groups i listed above have slightly more established careers and have put out a lot of good albums

jpop is a lot of fun -- hope you have found or will find something you like

ShonenFan4

Ayumi Hamasaki, Aya Ueto, Namie Amuro. These are the J-Pop artists that I listen to!

La_Mangolio

A great place to start is the "Japan For Sale" compilations that Sony releases every year. Each CD is a good mix of different genres, running that gamut from pop like Puffy and Mayu Kitaki, to rock (Asian Kung Fu Generation, Tommy Heavenly6), electronica (Yoshinori Sunahara, DJ Krush, Aco), hip hop (Rhymester), to (my personal favorites) rock/electronica hybrids like Supercar, Polysics, and Boom Boom Satellites. If you can find them, pick 'em up. Good stuff.