gonna buy a g3 10gig ipod...but some questions need tobe answered

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

profingersk8er

first i would like to say hi since im new here...

i am very intersted in the new 3rd genration 10 gig ipod and i am runnning windows xp pro..

i kno that the 10 gig model dosent come with all the goodies like cradel, remote ect.... my computer does not have a firewire port, so my question is does the 3g 10gig ipod comes with usb port or do i need to buy a firewire card?

also, it would be great if you guys show me some places/sites with the lowest price for the new 10giger....and also, i head students can get student discount from apple store, how much discound would that be?

i think that'z about everything...thank you guys soo much for your time and nice to know you guys:rolleyes:

BigIzz

The iPod does not come with a USB cable, you can purchase one for about $20. Mind you I would only do it if you had USB 2.0, because 1.1 would be incredibly slow.

A better idea would probably be to add a firwire card. You can buy one for about the same price as the USB cable, you will be able to charge the iPod from the firewire port (USB cannot charge it, you need the AC adaptor). You can also use the firewire card for external drives, video cameras in the future.

profingersk8er

thanx for the quick reply, yes i do have usb 2.0, but for $20 i rather get a firewire card since it's faster. so a firewire card will be the only thing i need to get right?

o by the way...i heard something about pc's having unpowered firewire...is that true? will i need a ac adaptor to charge a ipod if i buy a pci firewire card?

thanks again

spksmom

Putting in the firewire card was no problem for me and I'd literally never opened a computer before. As for the extras that don't come with the 10 gig iPod, I hardly use them at all. I got the new 15 gig model as a gift, but if money's tight, I think the 10 gig would be perfectly adequate.

spksmom

Another thought - I don't remember if the AC adapter is one of the extras. I do use that all the time. From what I understand the iPod only charges in the dock if your computer is actively running. Since mine spends most of the day in sleep mode, this wouldn't help my iPod much. I almost always charge it directly with the adapter.

profingersk8er

thanx for the input guys...
spksmom, looks like the 10 giger also comes with the ac adaptor from apple'z site...

noy i just gota sell my sony mz-r909 so i can get a 10giger:)

bsodmike

Bleach ROCKS!
Website
www.bsodmike.com
spksmom said:
Another thought - I don't remember if the AC adapter is one of the extras. I do use that all the time. From what I understand the iPod only charges in the dock if your computer is actively running. Since mine spends most of the day in sleep mode, this wouldn't help my iPod much. I almost always charge it directly with the adapter.
I have the AC adaptor connected to my dock and line-out to my hifi sys. Its great. I like the dock alot, allows me to prevent scratching the rear of the ipod, as it does not spend much time sitting on table....Allways in the dock!

spksmom

bsodmike, thanks for the idea of connecting the adapter to the dock. Less plugging and unplugging of the Pod that way.

ssper

Musicmonomaniac
I have a new 30 Gig. I bought a Firewire PCMCIA card, and constantly had problems having the computer (Windows XP) recognize the Ipod. I bought the Apple USB connector, and have had no such problems.

carlin

iPodaholic...
Website
homepage.mac.com
no its not bertuzzi, it clames to be 480Mbps, but its only about half that, firewire is proven much, much faster than uSB 2.0!

bertuzzi

Well, USB 2 does claim to be 80mbps faster, but of course you're right on: real world performance is what matters, and I've just got a new iPod, plugged in the Firewire jack and am uploading songs with lightening speed!

profingersk8er

um,.....the readme file from apple for their 1.3 update scared me a little bit
it said something about scrowheel...

on the 2G ipod...only the higher models had touch wheel when the cheapest one had scrowheel..

does the 3G 10giger has the touchwheel or scrowheel?

ZoidbergD

you have a 3G iPod. It does not need the 1.3 software updater. It should either come with 2.0 or 2.0.1. If the iPod has 2.0 software, upgrade to 2.0.1. iPod software 1.3 is for older models and will not work witht the new ones.

profingersk8er

ooo...my bad:p
thankx for the info..
so im guessing the G3 10gig has touchwheel too right?

ps...i dont own a ipod yet...and will very very soon:D

ZoidbergD

Yeah, the 3G iPod has a non-moving touch sensitive wheel, as opposed to a mechanical scroll wheel on the older models.

The latest software version for 1G and 2G iPods is 1.3.
The latest software version for 3G iPods is 2.0.1. If you were to buy a new 3G iPod now, it would probably come with 2.0.1. If not, you can just download the update.