• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Going crazy waiting for the next iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

C_Hofman

I have been putting off buying an iPod video for quite awhile now because I was thinking there might be a new iPod coming soon. It's driving me insane 'cause I want one, but I don't want to buy one and then a new one come out. Any of you guys having this problem?

GreeKNastY

^same here bud...after seeing the iphone i cant imagien what the ipod will have..even more features then the iphone(besides obvious features)...
just hold it off bro..u can do it..you might regret it if not!

C_Hofman

Yeah... but I make pretty good money for my age. I don't have any fees to pay. So I could buy a used 30GB, but that's all I am willing to do. I prolly won't do it though.

C_Hofman

Eric Lewis said:
well if ur happy with the old one (the 5.5g) then get it! if not wait
I like the current iPod video, but I'm stoked to see what the next one will be.

Krn iPod

.asian
You're gonna have to wait quite a while.
We're expecting the release to be after the iPhone release. Maybe September.

BlackHawk47

Not that big o' deal. I personally would wait because the iPod might move its video player to flash based, and have superior battery life. In that case, I'm saving up for one now. It's gonna be sweet!

CRAIG1591

Ipod Freak
BlackHawk47 said:
"the iPod might move its video player to flash based, and have superior battery life.'
Thats what im hoping for in the next high capacity ipod (video ipod), im not interested in no 2,4 or 8gb nano

bobbit

Website
www.bluemutiny.com
iPod might move its video player to flash based
God knows how many times I'm going to say this.

Flash-based products are not large enough yet and are not available to the general public anything past at absolute most 32gb.

Any iPod Video upgrades MAY have a small amount of flash-based memory in them, but they will predominately use harddrives until at absolute least the end of next year. Micro-drives are now being produced at 128gb, so it's more than likely Apple's going to stick with them for a long time since they are far, far cheaper and becoming more energy efficient with greater capacity at a faster pace than flash.

Oh, and going by this post and the price of 8gb pen-drives right now, a 128gb flash-drive would be around $3000 at current rate, thus making the price of a full-screen iPhone featured video iPod over $4000USD.

Stop dreaming now, guys. ;)

Last edited:

miniMAMF

Look at it this way. If you can fill in the following blank:

"The 5.5G looks really cool, but it's missing one feature that I would totally use, and that is......"

then wait for the next generation. If not, buy now. You can always sell your 6-month old 5.5G for almost retail cost and get the new one when it comes out. It's called upgrading...:p

mushoku

miniMAMF said:
Look at it this way. If you can fill in the following blank:

"The 5.5G looks really cool, but it's missing one feature that I would totally use, and that is......"

then wait for the next generation. If not, buy now. You can always sell your 6-month old 5.5G for almost retail cost and get the new one when it comes out. It's called upgrading...:p
Where can you sell a 6-month old iPod for near full retail value? I don't think such a place or service exists.

miniMAMF

Well, certainly it's always at a loss. All I'm saying is that a 6-month old iPod in good condition will fetch a good price on eBay, or craigslist, for example.

paranoidxe

a 6 month, *CURRENT GENERATION* will sell for less than retail..HOWEVER it will still sell more NOW that it would when a NEW GENERATION iPod would come out to replace it.

A 80GB iPod in excellent condition with all its components could probably go for about $250 - $300 range. Thats about a $100 loss there, which isn't that bad. When a new gen comes out you'd be lucky to sell it for that price.

monoblocks

As long as the 6G sounds better, that's all that really matters to me. Wi-Fi and fingerprint-laden touchscreens I could do without (a volume control-only lockout would be nice, though).

I thought my 80GB 5.5G sounded pretty good when I first picked it up, but after buying and using my 8GB 2G nano, I can hardly stand listening to the relatively muddy SQ of the big iPod anymore. The nano may lack low-end punch, but everything else sounds sweet. The 5.5G simply sounds garbled and murky in comparison.

A 32GB or 64GB flash-based 6G iPod would be great, even if it doesn't hold as much content as the 80GB HD (well, why not 128GB???)...all Apple has to do is get an array of those 16GB NAND chips from Toshiba, and make 'em fit where the HD used to be. Apple's pretty good at negotiating cheap prices from suppliers, aren't they?

UNEXPECTED62

I am having this exact same problem. I had a generation 2 iPod mini and it broke about two months ago, and I just assumed I would wait for the 6G iPod. I never realized how much I loved my mini until I didn't have it. It's killing me, but I don't want to buy a 5G because I'd be paying money on essentially old technology.

spartanrob

I'm in the same boat. My 3G is dieing and I want something with a larger screen than the current versions. I hope something new comes along soon.

Razor70

I say get you a nice shuffle for now, wait out the 6G Ipods for a full ipod and then you will have your hard drived based one and a shuffle for exercising and/or other activities.