Give Me Some BLUES

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Provboy

Hey guys, can you recommend some "face-melting" blues? With long guitar solos that cry :D

rooster

Oberon Drinker
blues is my speciality. heres a solid list for ya

blind willie mctell
blind lemon jefferson
robert johnson
skip james
billie holiday
leon russell
eric clapton
the yardbirds
b b king
buddy guy
larry mccray
the white stripes
the black keys
my god the list goes on and on if you need more just ask!!

neb

Try some Jelly Roll, a true genius. Although his forté was not guitar, but try him anyway.

Rod Smith

Howlin' Wolf was the among the best. He could play guitar really well but preferred to employ a couple of guitar players and concentrate on vocals and harmonica. Willie Johnson and Jody Williams deserve mention but Hubert Sumlin blossomed under Wolf's tutelage to become one of the best blues guitarists ever. Wolf made him take lessons at the Chicago Consevatory of Music and later sat him down and fired him onstage in front of 500 people admonishing Hubert to go home, get your #### straight, put that pick down.

Sumlin went home that night and went down in his basement and learned to play with"all five fingers". The next night Hubert went down to the club and waited until Wolf called him up onto the stage. Sumlin recounts "He called me, he said, 'Are you ready to play, old man?' I said 'I ain't no old man! You're the old man!' We always messing with each other! And he said, 'OK!' I never will forget it: 'I Asked For Water and She Brought Me Gasoline' I could see that look in his eye, looking at me and then turning around so I think he ain't looking at me. He said one thing to me. 'Hubert, so you put the picks down." And I said 'Well, I like it." He said 'Yeah, you love it? I told you. You ain't even got my sound. you have your sound.' I said, 'You're darn tootin'!' And so from then on, man that was it". From Segrest and Hoffman, "Moaning at Midnight. the Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf"

vitosha

Provboy, I'd like to recommend a particular track. While I was lucky enough to hear Muddy Waters live several times, one of my favorite of his tunes I've only heard on a live album, "Muddy & the Wolf." In vinyl, it had Howlin' Wolf on one side, Muddy on the other. Muddy's accompanied not by his usual band, like no Pinetop Perkins if I remember correctly; rather, he's got a lot of young (then, they were!) Chicago electric blues guys, influenced by the psychedelic stuff going on at that time. The guitar solo is clearly under that influence, but it fits Muddy's song as well. You sort of get a blend of two eras in one jam. It's "Long Distance call." I hope you like it!

Provboy

Wow rooster, vitosha, Madpict, neb, Rod Smith, thanks for the growing list :) Haven't been really "out", busy with work and further studies, and it's been raining like hell here.

definitely going to get some CDs before the week ends

oh, and i posted at the wrong forum, this should be in the "Recommendations" section

Last edited:

Rod Smith

I looked up "Muddy and the Wolf". Apparently it is selections from Muddy's "Fathers and Sons" and Wolf's "London Howling Wolf Sessions". You may want to get one or both of the source albums instead. They are both sessions with (then) young bluesmen and rockers (Muddy with Butterfield, Bloomfield, Spann... Wolf with Clapton, Wyman, Winwood, Watts).

London Sessions was good but better examples of Howlin' Wolf are "His Best" on Chess and "Howlin' Wolf / Moanin' in the Moonlight" a reissue of two classic LPs on one CD. The "Chess Box" and the two volumes of "The Memphis Days: Definitive Edition" on Bear records will provide a pretty complete Wolf collection. When I got around to buying the Chess Box, I already had a lot of the tracks :(. Might be best just to get the big box to start...

porterdsgn

iPimp
You should check out a couple of tunes from a band called "Indigenous". They are on the iTunes Music Store. On the album "Live at Pachyderm Studios" there are two songs that just wail. "Blues from the Sky" & their version of "Red House". Great solos, great voice. Both are long songs 10min. and 12 min. If you check them out, let me know what you think.

vitosha

Hey, Rod Smith! Thanks for doing my homework for me. I appreciate learning some more about some of my favorites. And maybe I'll look into that chess box... Thanks! :)

Rod Smith

Yeah, I've become a bit of a Wolf fanatic recently, so I took a look at your recommendation. Apparently Muddy recorded a London Sessions album too. It got bad reviews on the Amazon site, but Rory Gallagher is said "get off a few good solos".

On the other hand, "Fathers and Sons" (the source of the song you recommended) got much higher praise. Apparently a much more successful attempt to bring together the blues and rock styles.

"Electric Mud" was another important album of Muddy in a blues/rock context. Blues purist didn't like it and Muddy himself said the drumming was too busy and guitar sounded like a cat's meow, but I think it was his biggest seller up to that point, revived his career and exposed a new generation to the blues and this legendary bluesman.

From what I'm reading "Fathers and Sons" is better than "Electric Mud". I think I'll get a copy of "Fathers and Sons"...

Last edited:

MyMochaMadness

Jack Johnson is kind of blues-y (iTuens puts him in the blues category, at least) but I'm not knowledgable about the genre so I can't swear to it. Otherwise, if you're looking for really sad songs, I have a few suggestions (album title in parenthesis, description below):

"Some Devil" by Dave Matthews (solo album, Some Devil)
--acoustic song about love, loss, and inner demons

"Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd" by the Dave Matthews Band (Stand Up)
--a song about bumping into an old flame in the street and not knowing what to say

"Absolutely Zero" by Jason Mraz (Waiting for My Rocket to Come)
--breaking up though you're still in love

Provboy

porterdsgn said:
You should check out a couple of tunes from a band called "Indigenous". They are on the iTunes Music Store. On the album "Live at Pachyderm Studios" there are two songs that just wail. "Blues from the Sky" & their version of "Red House". Great solos, great voice. Both are long songs 10min. and 12 min. If you check them out, let me know what you think.
I live in the Philippines, so i have no access to the itunes music store. i'll keep an eye out for them at the record bars i visit. :)