getting unchecked songs to play continuously

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassman-x

I use checking of songs to control whether songs sync with my ipod or not. Back in iTunes I would still like to be able to play albums of unchecked songs and not have it just play one song and then stop. Is there a plug-in that can enable playing of unchecked songs in iTunes in the same fashion as checked ones? Or is there an iTunes setting that I've missed that would enable this?

thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. I did try and do a search first to determine if my question had already been answered but the search doesn't appear to be working, at least for me, at the moment.

Essin

Use a playlist (or several) that you sync to the iPod. (Set it to 'Sync Only Selected Playlists'). That way you can leave all song checked.

bassman-x

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to do that. What I'd like is a solution where I can keep the ipod synced as I do at the moment but play the unchecked songs normally in iTunes. I just find the method that I sync at the moment to be the most convenient.

Last edited:

tashabear

Sorry, iTunes doesn't work that way. Unchecked songs do not sync nor do they play unless specifically selected.

bwh79

bassman-x said:
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't really want to do that.
Well then I don't know what kind of help you expect from us.

"Hi, I have this problem, I'd like to know how to fix it"
"Here, here's how you fix it."
"Oh, that's how you fix it? No thanks, I think I'll just continue to complain about it instead."

Really, you shouldn't be un-checking songs to keep them off your iPod. It will work to keep them off the iPod (but only if you have "Sync checked items only" enabled), but as you have discovered, it also prevents them from playing in iTunes-- ever -- unless you specifically play it (double-click or press the "Play" button).

For absolute control over what does and does not go on the iPod, the correct solution is to do like Essin said and sync to "specific playlists".

misper666

its a simple enough request, some people do not care for playlists. including me.

i can see that many people prefer to sync that way, especially those with smaller ipod models with changing tastes. it's more convenient than making playlists.

in the past when i've had to refill my ipod i could not be bothered filling it all the way so i sync in my preferred manner of checking some albums. later, in a seperate instance when my ipod was no where near my PC, i feel like listening to itunes but half the songs are unchecked.

playing & syncing are two seperate functions. so the checking of boxes should only relate to syncing & adding to playlists, not the playing of music which is still there in the library :rolleyes:

Essin

Unchecking a song is telling iTunes "I don't want to hear this song" unless I manually start it.
It's nothing to do with syncing.

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
I agree I would prefer iTunes to operate in this way. Every other player has a "waiting to be played" window, and this would be a very good addition, especially considering the dual function (sync or play) of checking tracks inside iTunes.

But as it doesn't exist you either have to use another player like Winamp to play music successfully (its leaner and more efficient anyway), or sync to a playlist as I do.

PCiPoder

Ex iPod Hater
bwh79 said:

"Oh, that's how you fix it? No thanks, I think I'll just continue to complain about it instead."...For absolute control over what does and does not go on the iPod, the correct solution is to do like Essin said and sync to "specific playlists".
The problem is that if you're like me, you have many playlists (smart and conventional) and you want them all to be available on the iPod even if they contain unchecked songs. But if you do as you suggest and create a playlist(s) to sync, the other ones don't. Plus, if you're like me and have over 150GB of music but "only" an 80GB iPod, then creating "that playlist" to sync is a huge hassle and requires constant attention. I don't want it to be random--I want to control what syncs and what doesn't. I still think there has to be a way around this but I can't figure it out. I'm still waiting for the definitive answer.

aquadog

Yes, for me that is the most obvious and simple function that itunes is lacking.

I mean, how hard is it for itunes to still play unchecked songs? It seems like a really stupid thing to overlook, and I cannot think of a single logical reason why they would not have that functionality.

It has been bothering me since the first day I got an ipod 3 years ago, and with each update I wish they would fix that, but they haven't, and I don't get it.

lebkin

aquadog said:
I mean, how hard is it for itunes to still play unchecked songs? It seems like a really stupid thing to overlook, and I cannot think of a single logical reason why they would not have that functionality.
I believe that you are looking at the use of check marks backward. I believe the checked/unchecked feature was originally intended to tell iTunes what you want and don't want played. The ability to sync only checked song is a feature created with the mindset "if I don't want to play it in iTunes, I don't want to play it on the iPod." I do not believe it was intended to be solely used for managing iPod content.

Now that being said, it IS a common tool people use to manage iPod content. Thus a simple option to turn on the ability to play unchecked songs continuously would make it work for everyone.

daxkai

Solved

Hey everyone, after some time fiddling with all the options in Itunes I found a solution. Now here is what I did:

I created a smart playlist and put the following:
Match following rule
checked is true
live updating

don't check any of the other options.

I then selected all those checked songs and gave them a 5 star rating.

I continued by editing the smart playlist and making the Match Following rule:
checked is false

I then selected all the unchecked and gave them no rating.

I then deleted that playlist and went to my top rated playlist. I EDITED it to have no limit and to require a rating higher than 4 stars.

Lastly I went to my ipod and unchecked: Sync only checked songs and videos, and went to my music tab.

In the music tab I checked: Selected playlists, artists, and genres.

and below I mad sure everything was unchecked except the My Top Rated playlist, and any playlist that only contained 5 star rated songs.

I hit sync and it was like my ipod didnt change.

I then went to my music library, selected all, and hit check selection.

Voila. The only problem with this is you can't have playlists on your ipod with songs in them that you don't want on your ipod, because if you check that playlist it will add the songs you dont want too. This is easily fixed by making duplicate playlists, one with the all songs that you leave unchecked, and one that has only songs you want on your Ipod that you leave checked.

Well hope this helps

cheers,
Dax

wolston

The check box is there to decide whether to sync to your iPod or not; if the check box is displayed (and checked) iTunes will not play or sync the song.

To get round this, go into Edit->Preferences->General, and uncheck "Show list checkboxes". iTunes does not now display the checkboxes, so all songs will play, regardless of what the (now unseen) checkbox was set to. When you need to sync your iPod, make sure you go back into preferences and tick that box again.

Hope this helps.

1ma Wizard

Stop being a ####

"Oh, that's how you fix it? No thanks, I think I'll just continue to complain about it instead."

Really, you shouldn't be un-checking songs to keep them off your iPod. It will work to keep them off the iPod (but only if you have "Sync checked items only" enabled), but as you have discovered, it also prevents them from playing in iTunes-- ever -- unless you specifically play it (double-click or press the "Play" button).

For absolute control over what does and does not go on the iPod, the correct solution is to do like Essin said and sync to "specific playlists".
The question wasn't solved and no real solution was provided. for anyone still interested in the REAL solution, simply open the itunes preferences window (Ctrl+) and hit Alt+K, alternatively you could uncheck the "Show check-list option". hey presto a real solution

kornchild2002

I'm closing the thread. The solution to switch over to a smart playlist (or multiple) was still the best one offered back in 2007 (7 years ago!) when this thread was originally started. Contrary to what others have said, they don't require constant attention and can be made to update automatically. They can pull from other playlists (smart or not) and automatically limit things based on a certain capacity. The process of managing content on an iDevice through checking songs in iTunes (and/or manually dragging-and-dropping them) is extinct. It's a serious pain and is more work than setting up a series of smart playlists. Either way, they were given a solution 7 years ago.

This thread is too old now and has attracted some spammers. I'm closing it so the other mods and I don't have to worry about constantly trying to clean it up from spammers and necro-bumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.