Getting rid of empty folders

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

NeoCortex

When changing the tags on some of my music files (artist, album, compilation) iTunes moves the file to a new location (as it should with it managing my library). However, this frequently leaves behind empty folders. Is there any easy way to get rid of these folders without going through each directory by hand and deleting the empty ones?

cjmnews

Staff member
According to http://www.computerhope.com/rmdirhlp.htm
You should be able to open a command prompt, change to the directory above all the empty ones and type:
RD /S <directory name above the empties>
and all the empty directories will be deleted.

Make sure you have a backup of the structure first, just in case.

rickgsoldo

Better solution

I had the same concern. I'm not sure if you are using Windows or OSX, but if Windows then:

I downloaded the following program and the issue is now resolved.

http://download.cnet.com/Remove-Empty-Directories/3000-2248_4-10755867.html

Still, I find Apple's approach seriously annoying. It moves files all over based on tags and does no clean-up behind it. This has made it difficult to find files through the file system or move music to other computers effectively.

This program does solve that so on we go.

Rick

Cold Irons

I want iTunes to move files based on tag changes - that's why I have that preference turned on. If you don't want iTunes to keep your stuff organized, turn it off. iTunes will always tend to "be safe" by not always removing/deleting left-overs.

It certainly doesn't make song files hard to find when you can just right click the song & open an explorer window containing it's file.