Genius results can't be updated - 4001 error

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chrismrb

I have iTunes Match and ~100k songs in iCloud.
Every time I try updating Genius I get the unknown error 4001 error saying Genius results can't be updated.
Prior to that message I get the Gathering info about your library, Sending information to Apple, Waiting for Apple to deliver your results messages.

I've tried deleting the iTunes Library Genius.itdb file, creating a new library, used MAC and Windows PC, but always get this error.

Is it some issue with having the full library in the cloud?
Please advise, thanks.

cjmnews

Staff member
A side note: Having iTunes Match enables Genius, and it can't be turned off. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146)

It seems that the 4001 error is a common issue. I see lots of posts on it, most without any steps that resolve anything.

The older posts seem to indicate that having more music than iTunes Match allows causes 4001 errors (back when the limit was 25K), since you are close to the 100K limit, this could be rearing it's ugly head. Maybe less tracks is better.

There is also discussion about a Work Tag causing issues if it is not empty.
To see the tracks with this issue, you can make a new smart playlist where "Work" is not [empty]

To fix this:
  1. Select all the affected tracks
  2. "Get Info"
  3. Check the box called "Use work and movement"
  4. Delete the work value.
You may need to disable iTunes Match, and re-enable it to get past this. Though it may take a long time (days) for the Genius analysis to complete for 100K tracks.

I am suspecting the limit of tracks is probably the cause of the problem. It may be time to remove some of your less used tracks from the library.

chrismrb

thanks for the suggestions, I was able to delete the work information from about 1.7K of my songs, but still got the 4001 error.

I then turned off icloud and just had a library of 12 downloaded songs, I was able to run genius update without error but it couldn't create a genius playlist (guess there wasn't enough songs).

I have 99,457 in iCloud, if iTunes match supports 100k, then it should support Genius feature for that, right?

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes, iTunes Match should support 99,457 songs fine. Genius should also work for that.

I am not sure that turning off iCloud is enough to disable iTunes Match or not. The suggestion I found was to disable iTunes Match, delete the Genius Database, enable iTunes Match (with a constant good connection) and wait for Genius to complete.