Gapless Playback... likely not?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I have a 5.0G black 30GB iPod. I've been thinking about this for a while but never posted it.

I've come to the conclusion that the "gapless playback" support on the iPod is obviously not true gapless playback. It is gapless as in there is no time between each track. But it is obviously just crossfade with near-perfect settings. Key word there being "near," because you can tell that it overlaps just a little too much.

If you listen closely you can clearly tell that the ends of songs are being cut off by the next song that starts playing. This is even more clearly apparent if you have a quiet song and a loud song playing. I used the option in iTunes to make some of my older or quieter music louder so I don't have to adjust the volume as often. I made bands like Rush and 88 Fingers Louie louder. I was listening to "Scratched Out" by The Matches, which is a quiet rip I made louder, and next was "Punch Me I Bleed" by Children of Bodom. Not only was the end of "Scratched Out" overlapped by Children of Bodom, but the beginning of "Punch Me I Bleed" was very loud and then quieted down after a second. I don't know how the "gapless" is supposed to work, but I wonder if the increased loudness setting of "Scratched Out" carried over to "Punch Me I Bleed" during the small amount of time that they were playing simultaneously.

Has anyone else noticed any similar quirks?

Niz

i think that's essentially what gapless playback in all situations do, if you rip a CD that is normally gapless and playback on the iPod you shouldnt find any difference. For me when i rip, the ipod analyses the track checks volume and gapless works perfect for me :) i notice nothing its seemless