• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Future of iPod Capacity?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Toshiba-Produces-the-Biggest-Hard-Drive-41723.shtml

that article said:
Toshiba has released what seems to be the first 100GB hard drive incorporated in a 1.8” form factor. To achieve the three digit mark, the company used perpendicular recording. The drive, codenamed MK1011GAH, contains two platters, and four read/write heads. The drive spins at
4,200rpm and has a seek time of 15ms (average). It connects to the motherboard using an ATA-7 bus which translates into a maximum burst speed of 100MB/s. The drive consumes 0.3W of power when running and that makes it ideal for handhelds and sub-notebooks.

In addition to the larger capacity, the MK1011GAH is also about 10% smaller (54x71x8 mm) than first-generation 1.8" drives, according to Toshiba. "We are enhancing the capabilities of PMR with the incorporation of TMR head technology to deliver another industry-leading mobile HDD," claimed VP of Toshiba's storage division Scott Maccabe about the 59 grams hard drive.

The next year holds some surprises for Toshiba since Hitachi has announced that they are ready to mass produce a 250GB 2.5” unit which will take the lead in the 2.5” sector. As a reminder, Toshiba currently produces 200GB 2.5” units. Also Hitachi plans to integrate security features into its mobile hard drive line, making things even harder for other manufacturers.

According to IDC, Toshiba was the market share leader regarding mobile hard drives in the 3rd quarter of 2006. As for the 1.8" category, the company holds a crushing 80% share, having shipped about 40 million since 2000. Toshiba says the new 100 GB drive is RoHS compliant and it will mass ship in January 2007. No information regarding the price was released yet.

bdb

On the B side of life
dmt1 said:
That's interesting, and it will be benefit a bunch of folks, but I'm more interested in flash memory--I wonder what the upper limits of flash memory can be developed and still be portable.
Now, or in the future (and how far out)? Affordability will be a big issue, as well.

Currently there is a 30GB flash "disk" that is apparently the same size as a 30GB drive...of course it'll cost more, but one analyst is predicting it will be in the big iPod before long.

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
In the future. If there was a flash based drive that was substanially bigger, I would use my ipod for more than just music. I'm not a big fan of the portable HD's, which personally IMHO should be considered semi-portable--I had several problems with my HD based ipods frying before (I don't own one now, and doubt I'll ever buy another one); none with my shuffles, old Mini, and relatively newer nano, which are virtually indestructible.

I love my Nano for music--I have well over 6 thousand songs in my library, and with smartlists, the Nano handles it just fine--since I have to recharge before I run through my library anyway.

turkeysix

2 camels, a buffalo, 3 wooly mammoths, a turtle dove, 5.3 elephants and 18 ants.

bdb

On the B side of life
I certainly don't see any reason why they won't be able to get 80GB or more in the next few years. A 65GB 1.8" drive was announced at CES (link), and 2.5" (laptop) drives have exceeded 100GB for some time now.

Now its just a matter of making them affordable, but with large chip manufacturers (experienced in both nano-scale technology and cost competitive manufacturing) currently in the fray, this seems quite possible.

paranoidxe

When nanos hit 12 or 16GB in capacity I might consider getting one, but until then I'll take the risk with the HD based players.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
I'm at about 55 Gigs right now, and my next iPod will be at least 80, and hopefully 100 gigabytes. I love it when technological advancements coincide with stuff I want :D

bdb

On the B side of life
dmt1 said:
I can remember when 32 mb was a big deal. Damn I'm old.....
Oh, I remember how fantastic it was to have a hard drive at all. The first one in our office was a whopping 5MB (yes, megabytes). This page on disk size/prices is kind of amusing for a computer vet.

Shall we place bets on when we get a flash iPod of 80GB+? I'm guessing 2011. The question for me is: is it one more iPod away or two?

Last edited: