Full iTunes backup/restore (?)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iMan

Hi All,

I have upgraded my old iMac to a new one.

I want a fresh OS so will not use migration assistant.

Is there a way or a 3rd party software to do a full backup of itunes (including, music, movies, playlists, ipods/iphones/ipad backups, settings etc..) and restore on the new machine.

:confused:

Many thanks in advance.

iMan

S2_Mac

I'm not aware of anything like that (which doesn't mean much ;-). However, it's not that hard to do this task "by hand."

If your content files are stored in the iTunes default location of ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, then you just need to copy your "old" "iTunes" folder into the same location on the new machine. (Easiest way is to just connect the two Macs with a Firewire cable and boot the old iMac into Target Disk mode.) If your content files are kept on an external drive, you'll still want to copy the "iTunes" folder from old machine to new. If your content files are stored on the boot drive anywhere other than the "iTunes" folder (or the "iTunes Media" folder within the "iTunes" folder), things get a bit trickier; post again for the how-to.

The iOS backups aren't a huge deal, since the devices will get backed up as soon as they're connected to the new iMac. (Since you'll be using the old machine's library file on the new machine, iTunes will treat your iDevices as old friends; there won't be any prompts to Restore them or remove their content. Just remember to authorize your new iMac's iTunes with your Apple ID before connecting iDevices. And dont' forget to de-authorize the old iMac before it moves to a new home.) If you just gotta have the old iOS backups, copy the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync and ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices folders onto the new machine.

To make it a complete experience. might as well grab prefs, too. In the ~/Library/Preferences folder, copy the com.apple.iPod.plist, com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist, and com.apple.iTunes.plist from old iMac to new.