• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Forcing widescreen movies into full screen

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
If you turn off Wide screen mode on your iPod the movie should play in full screen, it will just clip the edges off.

kornchild2002

Hello and welcome to iLounge. I suggest that you encode the movie in widescreen and follow baggss's advice. Looking at what Apple is doing, I bet that all future iPods will use widescreens. It would be a shame to encode a widescreen movie down to 4X3 then have to go back and re-encode the movie in widescreen again another 1-2 years from now whenever you get a new iPod/device.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
I just use the iPod's method rather than encoding video special. That way it fills the screen of all the TVs I might use, widescreen or not.

jntaylor63

Well, here is a way if you don't want to crop during conversion or cut the side by setting the ipod to widescreen.

In Handbreak, you can force the aspect ratio to what ever you want. When you load a widescreen movie into Hnadbreak it will say that the ratio is 1.78. Instead of encoding at a widescreen ration, set it to 4:3 one like 640 x 480.

The result will be a some what squished video, but it will fill up the entire screen of the ipod and not lose any of the sides video. As this is on a 2.5 inch screen, the affects may not be so great.

I do the opposite for 4:3 videos and my Apple TV. My TVs is widescreen and the AppleTV will not stretch 4:3 video to fill the screen. (Major flaw IMO) The TV will not strech the image as well.

So what I do is load my ripped TV shows in Handbreak and the ratio that is displayed is 4:3. I set my own ratio of 1.78 (720 x 400) and Handbreak will stretch the video out to fill the whole screen.

The result is watchable on the TV and looks the same as if I was watching the DVD with my TV's setting to FULL.