For those who worry that the nano is frail-

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
I see people worrying about what happens if they sit on their nano, drop it, etc. Here you go-

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

What were we to do now? Baffled, we did the only thing we could think of at the time: we ran over the nano again! This time the screen went totally blank, but the band played on.

In a final act of desperation, we decided to expose the iPod to a catastrophic event that would certainly destroy it. Lacking a really high place to drop the nano from, we decided the throw the nano as high as we could, say 40 feet into the air, and let it land—hard—on the concrete.

Last edited:

mikeeg

wow, what a reassurance i just hope i don't drop my ipod from 50 feet, now, but it is very reassuring how UN fragile the nano is

ham_man

That is insane. But so cool that the Nanos are so damn tough...

jh-retired

Extremely impressive, and far beyond my expectations. Thanks for the link.

philippac

Hmm, mine didn't survive TNT :( arrived this morning in a squashed box with big crows foot pattern across teh screen. Being picked up and replaced.

Dwill60

I'm a little disappointed in their "sitting" test. I don't think placing the Nano on a flat wooden chair and sitting on it is very real-world useful. By doing that, you are just pressing the flat Nano into a flat surface, which isn't that big a deal. I think a realistic test would be to put it in a back pocket and then sit on a wood chair.

The difference? Your rear end isn't flat and your pants pocket will conform to the curve of your rear and not the chair. For example, the bottom part of the Nano in the bottom of your pocket may be flat, trapped between your cheek and the chair, while the top part of your pocket may not be in contact with the chair, instead being curved up toward your back, if you have a tight rear pocket. This would tend to bend the Nano (essentially wrapping it around your cheek) and I'll bet the Nano can't stand having much bending force applied to it. Certainly not as much as force as it can stand by applying direct pressure pushing it into a flat surface.

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
Dwill60 said:
I'm a little disappointed in their "sitting" test. I don't think placing the Nano on a flat wooden chair and sitting on it is very real-world useful. By doing that, you are just pressing the flat Nano into a flat surface, which isn't that big a deal. I think a realistic test would be to put it in a back pocket and then sit on a wood chair.

The difference? Your rear end isn't flat and your pants pocket will conform to the curve of your rear and not the chair. For example, the bottom part of the Nano in the bottom of your pocket may be flat, trapped between your cheek and the chair, while the top part of your pocket may not be in contact with the chair, instead being curved up toward your back, if you have a tight rear pocket. This would tend to bend the Nano (essentially wrapping it around your cheek) and I'll bet the Nano can't stand having much bending force applied to it. Certainly not as much as force as it can stand by applying direct pressure pushing it into a flat surface.

I agree. If you believe a lab "stress" test is going to mimick your real world useage you are wrong. The nano weighs an ounce. No drop will hurt it. It would need gravity to help it along and it doesn't weigh enough. Trust me the Nano is fragile. I owned one. Just go to the Apple store and play with it before you decide on your purchase. If you are going to baby it you will be fine, but if you are going to actually use it go for the regular iPod which is tougher. Also in their test you notice the screen breaks right away. If you think it is tough, please just mail me your $250. You'll have the same result. In fact I am almost inclined to go purchase another nano just to do these tests and see if I get the same results. How many people think they are real or maybe dr. up a little?

Last edited:

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
did we read the same thing? It just lit up but you couldn't read it. A backlight is so useful. Its a shuffle with a built in flashlight not a Nano. Read it again.

Next we tried dropping it from a "considerable" height. The height we dropped it from was approximately 9ft (ie. one of us standing on a stone bench at the park). This was the first point where the iPod started to operate abnormally. The display was seriously bugged out, but the music continued to play and navigating via the scroll wheel still worked as expected:

Thats after the drop and long before the "road test" so hold your clap happy ignorance until you actually read the thing. Of course it will take a ton of abuse and still "work". Its flash memory which stands up to a lot. But that doesn't mean the Nano as a whole is able to handle abuse.

Last edited:

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
Ars is a very respected site. I doubt they doctored anything.

I do agree that the Nano is not going to be a durable, supertough mp3 player. But I think it is going to be more durable than a regular iPod, if only because a regular iPod won't survive much shock before the hard drive will fail.

People shouldn't get the impression that the nano is indesctructable. But everyone was worried like it would break like balsa wood, it's not like that either. For it to break in your pocket when you sit down, you are going to really have to have to sit an a particular angle that maximizes force at a perpendicular angle to the nano, and you're going to feel it well before you actually snap a piece of aluminum in half. Realistically, no one is going to snap a nano in half unless they take a flying lean into a hard seat (the screen is a different issue, but any mp3 player with a screen has this vulnerability.)

Take reasonable care of it and it will be fine. If you anticipate a lot of abuse, buy a cheaper Shuffle which doesn't have a screen, and is cheaper to replace as well.

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
(the screen is a different issue, but any mp3 player with a screen has this vulnerability.)
[/B]

If that were true every cell phone would have been returned and all previous ipods as well. I have yet to see a regular ipod, without abuse, have a cracked screen. Even some with abuse dont have cracked LCD's. Apple protected them with hard plastic. With the Nano they used the equivalent of Saran Wrap

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
Well, look on EBay and you will find iPods for sale with cracked screens (EDIT- they were probably involved in an accident though.) I wouldn't say that all other devices with displays have impervious screens.

But I did read your post in the other thread, and understand your point. Is the plastic the same as the other iPods? Is it thickness only, or maybe the material too?

I would much rather Apple had used a very hard shell to cover the nano. I don't think anyone's going to break their nano in half just keeping it in their pocket, but I could see screen protection definitely being an issue.

At the very least, I will try to be careful with mine...thanks for the scoop.

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
madmaxmedia said:
Well, look on EBay and you will find iPods for sale with cracked screens (EDIT- they were probably involved in an accident though.) I wouldn't say that all other devices with displays have impervious screens.

But I did read your post in the other thread, and understand your point. Is the plastic the same as the other iPods? Is it thickness only, or maybe the material too?

I would much rather Apple had used a very hard shell to cover the nano. I don't think anyone's going to break their nano in half just keeping it in their pocket, but I could see screen protection definitely being an issue.

At the very least, I will try to be careful with mine...thanks for the scoop.

most of those ipods were probably abused, which is why Apple didnt take them back, and rightfully so. They should not be responsible for the idiocy of the user. However mine was not abused and I think a lot of nano users are going to find themselves in my situation very shortly.

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
matty1979 said:
most of those ipods were probably abused, which is why Apple didnt take them back, and rightfully so. They should not be responsible for the idiocy of the user. However mine was not abused and I think a lot of nano users are going to find themselves in my situation very shortly.
The problem (for you or anyone with a cracked screen from no obvious abuse) is that Apple can't tell whether an iPod or a nano was abused or not (keep in mind I'm not defending them at all, I sympathize with your problem.)

If this problem does crop up a lot, I think Apple will at the very least change the design so future nanos are sturdier. If you've posted here and at Apple.com, there's at least a chance that a few weeks from now (if Apple sees a problem), you could call them, point to your posts and website to try to convince that you are earnest about what happened, and get a free replacement.

That probably doesn't make you feel any better, but at least it's a chance. There is also a chance that what happened to you was a freak accident. Ironically then the nano isn't as defective as you perhaps thought, but you will unfortunately have less chance of convincing Apple of what happened.

Anyway, good luck-