FM or Cassette?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Newmarket2

OK, there are a lot more elegant solutions, and there are lots of reviews telling me which FM system is best OR which cassette system is best - but is one of these approaches better than the other?

btw, I have a bluetooth phone, so don't want to use a bluetooth solution (and a 2nd car w/out btooth).

So, what should I look for? FM or cassette?
????

VipFREAK

If your car is that old or has an aftermarket radio that old I'd go with the Cassette simply for the reliability. I don't think you'll noticed that much of a difference.

If you think either of these are a "cheap" way for quality sounds skip both of them.

Newmarket2

No, the car is new ( a 2005 Lexus RX330). Does that change your advice?

As for "cheap", I'm assuming that either will give me better sound than FM radio. It's not my primary listening location, so I don't need the high quality I'd look for in headphones or a home system.

VipFREAK

I think my mom has the 2000 RX... It has a cassette, I'm assuming yours does? I don't know what the quality is of it but I'd still go for cassette only because in my situation it wouldn't cost me anything as I already have the cassette adaptor.

satwar

The experts in this site seem to lean towards cassettes rather than FM transmitters. The problem is that some new cars no longer have cassette players so you are then stuck with the second choice, FM, or if you're really lucky the premiere choice line-in.

HTML:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/an-introduction-to-cassette-tape-adapters/

VipFREAK

Like I said... If you're not picky about sound quality and a cheap solution then cassette will be the way to go. It would be for me anyway and I would be happy with it. Line-in would be the most logical because it's sure fire and the best quality but Car manufactures are just NOW getting that though their thick skulls. There are also some After market radios that come with a line in where all you need as a phone jack and you're set. As for the "iPod only" crap... it's just another way to suck money out of ignorant consumers that own iPods.

Pete_L_P

While my current cars have line in (which is great of course), my previous cars had cassette adapters, and I've used both cassette adapters and FM transmitters in many, many rental cars.

In my experience, a cassette adapter is consistently better and more reliable than FM transmitter, especially in major metro areas, where a crowded FM dial makes it difficult to find a keep a good open channel for the transmitter.

Pete

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
I would use a cassette because with the iTrip (or any other FM transmitter), the sound quality changes depending on the radio reception. I would go with the cassette because it has the same quality no matter what. Compared to the iTrip Auto, cassettes also have fewer wires to deal with.

unr1

From my experience, the FM transmitter is hard to use in "radio populated" areas. I'm sure NJ is one of them.

I guess if you don't travel far you can maintain the same station and get decent quality sound. But if you travel even 10 miles or so you will get background noise and will probably have to find another station. You can always try it and return if you don't like it.

VipFREAK

FM Trans will never do good because the FCC has capped their transmitting power so that it only travels a certain distance. Then the signal is even more ####ty if it's batt. powered and not used with an A/c adaptor.

Ronin47

Yea, but...

VipFREAK said:
FM Trans will never do good because the FCC has capped their transmitting power so that it only travels a certain distance. Then the signal is even more ####ty if it's batt. powered and not used with an A/c adaptor.
It is true that the FCC regulates the power of unlicensed broadcasts, but the manufacturers have, in my opinion, failed to do their homework.

Take a look at this about Part 15 Devices. "On FM frequencies, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters)."

Here is a link to an unofficial copy of 47 CFR Part 15 if you really want to get into reading the details.

The WikiPedia cites 47 CFR Sec 15.239 for the rule is a signal strength of 250

Last edited:

VipFREAK

Well, if it's a cheapy like belkin I'd expect it will still be ####ty anyway. I don't see them putting in that much effort. I have a Monster FM trans (not ipod exclusive) that plugs into the cig lighter which is decent. It's not as cheap ($25) but for the most part gets the job done for me. I'd expect they put a little more stock in their products.