Firmware 2.1 to be available on Friday

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

daihard

From the "Let's Rock" conference...

Steve moves into the software on these devices. OS X 2.1 is being released with the new iPod Touch, he says. iPod Touch owners who paid to update to OS X 2.0 are getting a free update to 2.1, but if you never upgraded to 2.0, you need to pay $9.99. The 2.1 software applies to the iPhone as well. "This is a big update, and it fixes lots of bugs." Fewer call drops, fewer app crashes, better battery life, and backing up to iTunes is dramatically faster. These have been the primary complaints around the iPhone 3G and iPhone 2.0, and it appears Apple has addressed those here. It will be available this Friday.
I sure hope 2.1 will be as great as Jobs cracks it up to be!

WallyWaldo

Potato Lounger
guess we'll just have to wait and see... I can tell you one thing though, even if it comes out Friday I'm waiting to see people's repsonses from it before I update.

daihard

WallyWaldo said:
guess we'll just have to wait and see... I can tell you one thing though, even if it comes out Friday I'm waiting to see people's repsonses from it before I update.
I'd be glad to be a guinea pig on this one. :)

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
^ Me too, I just can't believe we have to actually wait...it annoys me. It also annoys me that there's no Push Notification Server...unless that was left out as a surprise :rolleyes:

zardoz66

TheMBC said:
^ Me too, I just can't believe we have to actually wait...it annoys me. It also annoys me that there's no Push Notification Server...unless that was left out as a surprise :rolleyes:
I would much rather wait and have it done right then to push it out and have another 2.0.x pos

daihard

I just tried 2.1 on my iPod touch. It has fixed one annoying issue where the icons of updated applications showed up in empty spots rather than their original locations. With 2.1, they do show up in empty spots during the update process, but they will go back to their original spots once the update is complete. Yay!

kyussmondo

That is cool daihard. That is one thing that annoyed me, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully there is more. I am sure Apple said MobileMe would be fully fixed by December, so maybe we have to wait till then?

daihard

kyussmondo said:
That is cool daihard. That is one thing that annoyed me, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully there is more. I am sure Apple said MobileMe would be fully fixed by December, so maybe we have to wait till then?
I hope MobileMe will start behaving itself sooner. :)

As for other fixes/improvements with 2.1, it seems to have fixed the contact delay problem as well. I'll keep you updated.

Flet

Hope it let's you manually add music from multiple Computers or even play on multiple computers now.

daihard

Flet said:
Hope it let's you manually add music from multiple Computers or even play on multiple computers now.
Let's hope someone tests that feature. Having only one iTunes at home (or at work) I can't really try that myself.

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
zardoz66 said:
I would much rather wait and have it done right then to push it out and have another 2.0.x pos
I would rather have that too, but as a customer who bought this phone in hopes of getting the PNS in September, I'm a little annoyed that it wasn't even announced or brought up.

daihard

TheMBC said:
I would rather have that too, but as a customer who bought this phone in hopes of getting the PNS in September, I'm a little annoyed that it wasn't even announced or brought up.
Would you care to explain to me what the Push Notification Service is? Is it different than what MobileMe currently offers?

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
daihard said:
Would you care to explain to me what the Push Notification Service is? Is it different than what MobileMe currently offers?
It allows developers to let you know that there is new data available for their app by using a "badge" like Mail does. For example, Twitterrific could let you know that you have 12 new tweets.

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
Yeah, it's Apple's answer to background processes. When you click the home button your app will be sent to the "cloud." So let's say you're using AIM, and want to go on Safari...AIM can now notify you about an IM with a pop-up, a badge, or a sound...or all three.

However, Apple will be hosting this server, the phone doesn't have the app running...as soon as there is new data, it is "pushed" to you (like mail can be) from the PNS to your phone.

daihard

Galley and TheMBC:

Thanks for the detailed explanations. That makes sense. I wonder how much work it will be on Apple's side to run and maintain such a server, though.

TheBum

I know this sounds minor, but I'm hoping to see the 4G nano's headphone remote triple-click-previous-song feature make it into the iPhone 2.1 software. As far as I know, there's no technical reason why it couldn't.

The main feature I'm anticipating is the speedier backups to iTunes. I'm getting really tired of the ~30 minute syncs if I want a backup; I normally just skip the backup.

Another bug I'd like to see fixed is the music re-sync issue, where a certain group of songs is synced every time although the files haven't changed. Luckily for me, it's only about 21 songs. Some people have been reporting numbers in the hundreds.

That's a bummer about cut-and-paste.

daihard

TheBum said:
I know this sounds minor, but I'm hoping to see the 4G nano's headphone remote triple-click-previous-song feature make it into the iPhone 2.1 software. As far as I know, there's no technical reason why it couldn't.

The main feature I'm anticipating is the speedier backups to iTunes. I'm getting really tired of the ~30 minute syncs if I want a backup; I normally just skip the backup.

Another bug I'd like to see fixed is the music re-sync issue, where a certain group of songs is synced every time although the files haven't changed. Luckily for me, it's only about 21 songs. Some people have been reporting numbers in the hundreds.
Triple-clicking to go back to the previous song would definitely get my vote. I also hope the remote volume controls on the newly-announced Apple in-ear headphones work with iPhone w/ 2.1, but that may be pushing.