Firmware 2.1 to be available on Friday

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I can't wait for the update tomorrow! I really need it. Today I was in my bus with my friends and Safari didn't feel like working because 3G was so inconsistent. It was going from 3 bar to none in a matter of seconds. I had to hard reset my iPhone 3G to get Safari working again. I can't wait for some real bug fixes!

tcj

Website
www.knownjohnson.com
TheBum said:
Another bug I'd like to see fixed is the music re-sync issue, where a certain group of songs is synced every time although the files haven't changed. Luckily for me, it's only about 21 songs. Some people have been reporting numbers in the hundreds.
I'm pretty sure this is not an Iphone problem as it happens on my 160gb Ipod too. I think the problem is related to how some files are tagged. Make note of problem songs (it's usually the same ones every time) and edit the album info in Itunes. I did this on a bunch and it helped, but I've developed new ones since then. I think if you alter files outside of Itunes (as I do with Media Monkey to fix old art) it may cause problems.

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
TheMBC said:
Yeah, it's Apple's answer to background processes. When you click the home button your app will be sent to the "cloud." So let's say you're using AIM, and want to go on Safari...AIM can now notify you about an IM with a pop-up, a badge, or a sound...or all three.

However, Apple will be hosting this server, the phone doesn't have the app running...as soon as there is new data, it is "pushed" to you (like mail can be) from the PNS to your phone.
AIM has never given me a little pop-up notice even with Push on. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

TheBum

Stay Alive 305 said:
AIM has never given me a little pop-up notice even with Push on. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
No, the push notifications are not available yet, outside of Apple's own apps that is. They're supposed to be coming sometime this month. It doesn't sound like they'll make the 2.1 update, but I'm hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.

Sparky_92

TheMBC said:
^ Me too, I just can't believe we have to actually wait...it annoys me. It also annoys me that there's no Push Notification Server...unless that was left out as a surprise :rolleyes:
I'm just hoping that Safari stops crashing, and that contacts don't take like ten seconds to load. These are problems that were supposedly SOLVED in 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. :shake:

HighD

First post here :p

Sparky_92 I'm right there with you..hope to see more stability and better battery management. Let's just wait and see.....

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
1:50 am west coast and still no update. My battery life is terrible and I've come to the conclusion that I won't tolerate it any longer.

dling1971

Well I normally have 0-1 bars. I am consistantly running 3-5 bars on 3G post update. Battery life seems to be better. Email is definitely coming through much faster. I am loving Genius. 3 hours in........so far so good!

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I downloaded it this morning. Same crappy AT&T service at home (i'm in a shadow for the nearest tower) but significantly better service at work. Full 5 bars and no dropping back to Edge, all 3G.

lanwarrior

I just got my iPhone 2 days ago and it's only running 2.01.

In order to update to 2.1, I have some questions:

1) Do I have to update to 2.02 first, then 2.1? When I click update, it told me that 2.02 is available, not 2.1

2) Is there any way I can SAVE the download (2.02 or 2.1)? I have 2 iPhone and I hate redownloading it for the 2nd time when updating the 2nd iPhone.

Bomfunk

Have you guys checked the net monitor (*3001#12345*#) for the "real" signal strength in numbers? (eg. -95db) I have found that this value hasn't changed, but the iPhone now displays more bars even at lower reception levels than before. So its more cosmetic than a real improvement...

BTW. Everything over 100 is considered poor reception in the 3G network and about at 105 calls get droped.

Last edited:

daihard

Bomfunk said:
Have you guys checked the net monitor (*3001#12345*#) for the "real" signal strength in numbers? (eg. -95db) I have found that this value hasn't changed, but the iPhone now displays more bars even at lower reception levels than before. So its more cosmetic than a real improvement...

BTW. Everything over 100 is considered poor reception in the 3G network and about at 105 calls get droped.
There are a lot of people who are reporting much better actual reception on forums like Mac Rumors, which leads me to believe it's not just cosmetic changes Apple has made to the firmware.

For me, I can't tell because I've always had 4-5 bars regardless of the version of the firmware. :)

Rob9874

Website
www.christmasbroadband.com
Bomfunk said:

This is confirmed in an article I read on cnn.com:

"Apple also said the new update "improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display" -- meaning the phone would show more "bars" on the connection meter.

However, the quality of the connection was not necessarily affected by the update."