FireWire+USB 2.0 Cable (M9126G/A) Question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Hi,

I was looking for an extra USB 2.0 cable at Best Buy but they only had the combo Dock Connector cable that split off to both USB 2.0 AND FireWire.

My question is this: even though I'll be connecting my USB cable to a powered hub that will charge the iPod, it will only charge while my PC is powered. Since I turn off my PC at night I'd like to be able to charge through the power outlet using the FireWire cable.

Is there a problem with powering the iPod through both the USB 2.0 AND the FireWire through a power outlet at the same time? Is there any risk of overload or overpowering?

I tried searching Apple's support site but couldn't find anything on this cable (part number in the thread title).

P.S. Even if I didn't use both tentacles of the split cable at once, both the USB 2.0 and FireWire sides are about three times longer than the enclosed cable - so this cable may be an option for those who complained that the short FireWire cable didn't reach their outlet (mine doesn't even reach the floor from my desk, let alone the outlet). It's $29.99 at Best Buy, which is probably full retail price.

Last edited:

~tl

AFAIK the USB 2 part of the combined cable doesn't charge, as the 3G (which this cable was designed for) does not support charging via USB. Therefore you will be fine having the USB cable plugged into your computer (to sync) and have the Firewire side plugged into the AC Adapter.

Infact this is how Apple designed this cable and this method is described in the 3G iPod manual.

TOM

CryingWolf

Have iPod will Cruise
I have that combo and when you unplug the firewire part from the outlet it will continue to charge via usb. So the usb does charge a 4g with the combo cable. It will also charge using the firewire ac plug. As for an overloaded condition, I have not had or seen any adverse effects. It would be nice to get a definitive answer from Apple on this though. Personally I don't think it is a problem as I am sure Apple would have tested all the 3G stuff on the 4G so they wouldn't have to make a drastic change in their product line.

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
I took the plunge and tried it last night and the iPod continued to charge just fine while the computer was on, and after it was shut off. No problems. I was just hoping that if someone had a horror story with it blowing out/melting their iPod they would have posted it, but search revealed nothing.

All's well.