FireLite drive (ext) tune w/Mac iTunes?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

rfaison

FireLite drive (external) w/Mac iTunes - YES!!

I've browsed around looking for info ... several thread seemed close, but I can't get it ...

Here's my situation - I have just copied all my music files from PC laptop to a 60GB FireLite drive (to back them up) and was thinking it would be cool to be able to use iTunes on my G4 ibook to play them (I can't copy them onto the ibook - too much music to do that).

I've read threads saying it's possible to use iTunes with an external drive - but I'm not clear on how to make the connections (not sure what the right word is - I know I don't want the files copied onto the ibook).

I've tried a few things, but wouldn't be able to recount them accurately probably so I'm not going to try.

The ibook does recognize the FireLite, opens folders, sees the files and double-clicking on one plays it in iTunes - I took that as a good sign!!

It would be so awesome to be able to use my music backup (FireLite) with my ibook iTunes .... but I clearly need some help!!:confused:

Lastly, don't know if this is relevant, but there are two albums on the ibook that I ripped with iTunes, so I'm not starting from absolute scratch. I'd like to keep these files if possible - I've tried copying it to the FireLite but the ibook says the drive is locked (but this isn't really a big deal, if I have to sacrifice them I could burn a CD).

========================
Success!
1. I deleted everything in the iTunes music folder - 2 files that iTunes created (an .xml file and can't remember what the other is) along with the music.

2. Made sure that iTunes library was pointed to the Firelite drive.

3. added the firelite music to iTunes (via "File" --> "Add to Library")- and it's all there - even the stuff that hadn't been properly tagged yet :)

Seems like starting fresh was key -

Last edited: