find missing tracks in Itunes 12

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pursuant

Again thanks , I got it down to 5 songs missing and they are gone, not on my pc.
I again added a folder to Itunes and it again didn't see the files. I have my library set up to consolidate files, should i have to do this each time? When I go to the library menu the first listing for consolidate is grayed out, then I go to organize and it gives me a box to check consolidate and another box to organize files in itune folders with a warning how this can't be undone. A little confusing. Each time I go to this organize/consolidate item, it needs to be checked again.

cjmnews

Staff member
Maybe you should try adding the files to iTunes and not the folder?

Consolidate is to move the library to a new location in Artist\Album\Song order.
Organize is to put all the songs in the iTunes library Artist\Album\Song (Also moves stuff from the pre-iTunes 8 iTunes Music folder to the new iTunes Media\Music folder)

pursuant

I am not sure how to add tunes to Itunes then....I download songs and they go into a download folder, is there a way to directly download them into Itunes? Doesn't organize and consolidate essentially mean the same thing?

Your help has been greatly appreciated!

cjmnews

Staff member
iTunes Store purchases are directly downloaded to your database when you use iTunes to purchase. If you use your phone, you may need to right click on Purchased and choose Check for Available Downloads to get them in.

If you are purchasing from elsewhere, then you will need to import the tracks, either manually or automatically by saving the files in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder.

Organize does not move the iTunes Media folder location.
Consolidate does move the iTunes Media folder location (good for moving the library from an internal drive to an external one)

pursuant

I made a shortcut on my desktop to the "automatically added to folder". I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.
My library seems to be intact once again. I'll hold off using any other music software and see if my library stays stable.

Thanks for all your help

cjmnews

Staff member
I see the Convert ID3 command is back.

You can select MP3 files that have the correct Get Info window information in iTunes.
Then click File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags...
Check and Choose v2.3
Click OK

This will write out all the iTunes Get Info information to the MP3 file ID3 tags.

pursuant

I don't see convert ID Tags as an option under get info . I am using 12.4.3

cjmnews

Staff member
Update the information in Get Info, click OK to save it.

Then click File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags...
Check and Choose v2.3
Click OK

This will write out all the iTunes Get Info information to the MP3 file ID3 tags.

pursuant

Convert 2.3

I am sorry its been awhile since I was glued into this issue, could you tell me what this does again?

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
We were trying to fix your files that keep disappearing. I suspected the issue is caused by MP3 ID3 tags being not set, which is a problem when you play the tracks.

If iTunes says the track has the Artist XYZ and Album ABC on the track, the file is moved to the XYZ/ABC folder. Assume that the MP3 ID3 tags have Artist and Album empty. When the track is shown in iTunes it will show as Artist XYZ and Album ABC. When the track is played, iTunes reads the ID3 tags then it sees the blank entries, then moves the file to the Unknown Artist\Unknown Album folder, which then makes the file seem missing in iTunes.

Using the Convert ID3 command above will write out the iTunes information into the ID3 tags then when iTunes plays the file, the Album and Artist tags are populated and the files stays in the correct location.

I thought they had removed it. But I found it again.