find missing tracks in Itunes 12

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pursuant

I am trying to once again locate all my missing tracks in Itunes. have searched the forum and have not seen a post for it recently. I have found this
Select all tracks in library.
Go to 'show info' and edit BPM to any number, click OK.
Wait for iTunes to apply changes, will take a while if you have a huge library.
In the bar above the track list, where you select to sort by name/album/genre/etc., right-click and select BPM.
Click to sort by BPM.
But i can't find the "show info" they are discussing. I have also tried this

Find and Sort the Missing "Exclamation Point" Tracks in iTunes

Which seems to be the go to option but I have not been able to create a smart playist that is suppose to find non existing files. I just spent a week doing this and finding over 900 missing files. I thought I had corrected the issue but more missing fifles keep showing up.

Thanks for any help.

cjmnews

Staff member
The article seems OK, though a bit off.

Yes there are versions of it here, I have documented it a number of times and it has changed over the years. You used to not have to drag and drop the songs, now you do. The Rule set has changed. iCloud tracks have added complexity.

Here is the recipe that works for iTunes 12:

Create a Standard Playlist named Good.
Select all tracks in the Music section and drop onto Good playlist. This could take a few minutes as iTunes is verifying each track's existence with this action.
Create a Smart Playlist with the rules: match music for All of the following rules
Playlist is Music
Playlist is not Good
Location is on this computer
Name this playlist Bad

The Bad playlist will show you all the tracks in your database without song files.
Remove the location rule to see your iCloud tracks that you do not have a copy of.

If you have tracks disappearing often, you may want to look at hard disk errors.

pursuant

missing tracks

I'm sorry I am new at smart playlist. I've got it open but I don't know how to set up these rules.

pursuant

I can get the playlist is music but then adding to that to make a rule that playlist is not good, I can't figure out . When I make the rule I again select playlist and I can add" is not" but where does the "good" come in? That final filed is a listing of my playlists, there doesn't seem to be a way to select good?

cjmnews

Staff member
Click on the + button to the right of the first rule.

Attached is my completed Smart Playlist rules

Attachments

pursuant

great that did the trick, just needed to see how it was set up. Now to figure out what to do about it. This has been going on for several month. I spent all last week downloading all the missing songs and now I find some of those are gone again and others that I had, are missing. If it is a hard drive malfunction, I'm going to assume it cannot be repaired. I have run check disk twice and it is still showing these missing files.

Thanks again for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
I usually recommend SpinRite. It has recovered a few drives for me.

pursuant

I ran a program called CrystaldiskInfo, which was recommended to me through a PC help site. It indicates the drive is in good shape. I am going on that assumption for the time being. What else could be causing these files to be missing? I do have another location on my desktop but I have added it to my Itunes and consolidated its files to the itunes media library .
Thanks again for the help

cjmnews

Staff member
According to their specs, they are just looking at SMART data which is often wrong or at least very delayed. If there was SMART data indicating problems your system would have told you by now.

Here is a recent thread with example errors to look for in your Event Log. http://forums.ilounge.com/mac-pc-itunes-tools/281800-missing-songs-itunes-latest-version.html

There should be no other reason for you to lose songs. You didn't say these were on NAS so there is no network delay to look at.

Does the BAD list change often? It shouldn't.

pursuant

Yes thats me in that thread. I appreciate your input on the software I used for inspection of the drive.
I have been working on this the past couple of weeks and I have replaced many of the files from my Ipod which still had them. The original missing file list was a little over 900, the new one is down to 111 so there was a lot on the ipod . So that is progress. Today as I was replacing them, I noticed that some files in the itunes music folder had two locations, so for example a rolling stone song might be under the folder titled "the rolling stones" while the missing file could be found in the folder "rolling stones". I am trying to see if the same files go missing once I replace them. Does this process happen when I turn my pc on everyday or when I start Itunes. I am a little vague on what happens when these files go missing.
Thanks again

cjmnews

Staff member
Showing up in a different location like that could be an indication that you are using an MP3 file with different data than what is in iTunes.

So if your track shows as "The Rolling Stones" in iTunes, but the track has "Rolling Stones" then it is possible that when you play the track, iTunes will see the ID3 data in the MP3 file and move the track from the folder The Rolling Stones to the folder Rolling Stones. This only affects MP3 files. Not AAC.

You could try this:
Close iTunes
Open iTunes
Select all MP3 files
Right Click one of the files, choose Convert ID3
Choose v2.3 and click OK
This will write out the iTunes information into the ID3 tags in the MP3 files.

Then the file and iTunes will agree and they will not be moved again.

From your BAD playlist you should search on track name (partial name may be better in case the song name is different) using Windows Explorer, to see if the track was moved and put it back. That may be easier, and clean up disk space than going back to the iPod.

Once all the files are found again, repeat the Convert ID3 tag again.

When you import new MP3s and alter their information you'll want to Convert ID3 tags to ensure that iTunes and the MP3 files agree.

pursuant

ok I selected all MPEG files. I did a sort on kind, with one of those selected I do a convert to ID3? am I converting all the MPEG files at once? I have about 172 songs that aren't, they are ACC and Apple Lossless.

Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
I select them all. They all could be out of sync. Right Click any of them and use the Convert ID3 command... Apple removed the command!

Ugh!

I assumed it was still there. Great! They don't reliably write out the information to MP3 files and now they remove the only command we had to fix it.

I'll see if I can write a script. Stupid Apple.

cjmnews

Staff member
I can't find a method to do this yet. All the methods I have documented are for creating new files, which we don't want to do.

Check the Tag values for your tracks. Use Windows Explorer in the Rolling Stones folder and find the track in iTunes The Rolling Stones artist. See if they are different or the same. If they are the same, I would look at the Disk Errors. If they are different, I would try:
a. Add a Comment to All MP3 files using iTunes Get Info window, check the other values to see if that updated the tags (artist, album, etc.).
b. Add embedded artwork to all MP3 files using iTunes Get Info window, check the other values to see if that updated the tags (artist, album, etc.).

You can remove the comment or artwork after the update.

I'll see if there is a method in a newer version of the documentation that can be used via script to update the ID3 tags. I checked over at Doug's AppleScripts and he says it is not possible through AppleScript. Which may be what I find as well.

pursuant

thanks for all your help, I'm going to hit this Sunday and see what I can come up with

pursuant

searching through my itunes music, so far I haven't found any repetition of the stones song. I did another sort of "good" and bad playlists and it shows its down to 85 missing. A couple of things occurred. One, when I locate a song from a ripped cd for example and add it, it will say locate it and do I want to use this location to find the other 149 missing files, which doesn't fit with the 85 bad songs playlist I made.
Second, I have noticed quite a few asx files. I think you said they were media files. They play with Windows media player but don't show up in Itunes, at least one did. I have never had these types of files on my pc until recently, not sure if its an coincidence or not?

cjmnews

Staff member
If you use Windows Media Player to access your music and you have the option for it to look up song information and update your tracks that will mess up your iTunes library. Windows Media player will modify the song, and iTunes will not recognize it.

I disable the WMP update tracks option if I have to use it. I generally don't but have in the distant past.

ASX files can't be handled by iTunes. I think they are playlists for WMP. I personally would delete asx files.

Your BAD playlist may be out of date because the GOOD playlist has not been refreshed. You'll need to delete everything from the Good Playlist to see if new files have gone missing. What I would do to see the changes is select everything in the GOOD playlist and make a new playlist called OLD_GOOD.
Then delete the contents of the GOOD playlist and recreate it. Then BAD will be updated.

Compare the OLD_GOOD with GOOD to see the changes. You may need to use Excel to compare since iTunes removed the multiple window capability.

pursuant

thanks, I don't use windows media player at all, but I sometime use an alternative music player called Music Bee. I never have it open at the same time as Itunes, but it does have access to itunes library, so maybe that could be the problem? If files get changed by it and then are no longer recognized by Itunes?
Another thing has come up that might be relevant. When I get music, I store it on a folder on my desktop, I then go to Itunes and add that subfolder of songs to the library. I have been getting all these missing tracks and recently added them to Itunes this way, except Itunes doesn't see them as being found. I then go into the bad playlist find the song add it and it asks if I want to use this location to find other missing songs, I say yes and it can't find any of the other missing files, i have to repeat this with every file I add.

pursuant

I just opened one of the ASX file in notepad, I found a way to convert these files to mp3s. When I did I noticed it said "MusicBee redirection file" So it appears that is the problem? Many of these files are used by this other program or it changed them in some way that Itunes doesn't recognize them.

cjmnews

Staff member
iTunes should ignore the asx files.

As for MusicBee, if you are using this to change song information, or move songs, this is what is making iTunes show missing files, unless there is a way for MusicBee to update iTunes too.

As for having tracks in a folder and adding them to iTunes, this should not be an issue. If iTunes is set to Copy Tracks to the iTunes Library and Organize the Tracks, then it will move the files from that folder and put them where they belong (e.g.: <artist>/<album>/<song>.<ext>) if iTunes is set to leave the files where it finds them, then it will use that folder to hold all your music that you import in this manner.

If your iTunes is set up to keep the library organized and copy files into the iTunes Library, then putting new tracks into the Automatically Add To iTunes folder is ideal as iTunes monitors that folder for new tracks and will move them into organized locations.

Using 2 music managers can be tricky. It is usually better to use 1.