• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

file cannot be played on iPod error message????

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

magofa

I converted an MPeg video file to an Mp4. It imports into my movie library fine and plays in iTunes, but when I try to put it in a video playlist I have created I get the message:

File cannot be copied to iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod. I have a 40 gig Videl iPod. Any ideas why? Anything I can do?

It won't transfer because the file format is wrong and it needs to be converted again. Just because it plays in iTunes doesn't mean it's correctly converted for playing on the iPod. You can either convert it again using different settings or use iTunes 'convert selection for iPod'.

magofa

It's the same file extenstion I use for all of my files. M4P What else would I use?

kornchild2002

The mpeg-4 file extension is not the problem. The problem is that your mpeg-4 video is encoded at a resolution, video bitrate, or audio bitrate that is not compatible with the iPod. Make sure you are using either standard mpeg-4 or mpeg-4 AVC (baseline low complexity 1.3) with video bitrates of 1500kbps or less, a audio bitrate of 128kbps, and a video resolution of 640X480 or less.

Quovadis

I've got the same problem. I'm trying to transfer The Marie Claire Masthead Video podcast to my 3G Nano. it comes from itunes. Thinking that the file format was not compatible I used the solution posted here and converted the file through itunes for use on the ipod. After 30 mins spent converting i was surprised to discover I got the very same error message as before. Am I missing a setting on the Nano? The file I'm working with has a bit rate of 155kbps, profile low complexity,total bit rate 857 kbps, video 320X240, codec H.264

laurenglenn

I've encoded video at 320x240 MPEG-4 768kbps and an audio bitrate of 256kbps. No problems loading it in.

Baseline 1.3 AVC is limited to 768kbps, I thought. Baseline 3 can go up to 1500kbps for H264.

Have you tried other programs to convert? Videora or Nero?

Lauren

Willerjiller

Not all iTunes videos can be transferred to iPod. There are lots of limitations including resolution, bit rate, aspect ratio, size audio codec, and so on. You need convert them to iPod compatible video. Even you already convert your video files to iTunes compatible video MP4, MOV, M4V, sometimes you are still unable to copy them to iPod due to the false specifications output by not so professional video converters.

iTunes has an option for videos to create a version for your iPod if you right click on a video.

Last edited by a moderator: