• [SIZE="3"][B]CLASSIFIED FORUM POLICY[/B][/SIZE] [B]Updated May 26th, 2010[/B]

The Classifieds forum is provided by iLounge as a free 'marketplace' to buy, sell or trade Apple media devices (iPods/iPhones/iPads/tvs) or related accessories.

It is not to be used for the sale of products by or to commercial entities, as defined by the commercial forum policy found here.

Permitted Items

• iPods
    • iPhones
    • iPads
    • Apple TVs and related accessories
    • iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories, such as cables, cases, speakers, headphones, docks, etc.
    • Original CDs or other original recorded music formats.

Note that when listing an iPhone for sale, the seller must clearly indicate whether or not the iPhone is locked to a particular carrier, and if so which carrier the iPhone is for.

Prohibited Items

• Computer software of any kind.
    • Computer equipment such as laptops, desktop computers, monitors, or other peripherals that are not iPod related
    • Non-iPod handheld devices such as personal digital assistants (PDAs), other MP3 players/DAPs, cellular phones, or portable gaming systems, whether or not they also happen to play digital audio/video content.
    • Gift certificates/prepaid cards (e.g. iTunes Music Store or Apple Store gift cards).
    • Personally recorded media of any kind. This includes any kind of content distributed on a recordable CD/DVD, casette, diskette, or any other media format, including the content of an iPod itself. While we recognize that we cannot force a user to erase their hard drive before selling their iPod, existing content of an iPod should not be advertised as a selling point.
    • Any item or lot of items with a selling price in excess of $750 US.
    • Other items that are not directly related to the use or care of an Apple media device or related accessory

Please note that the list of items above includes items for sale as well as requests to buy, and requests for trades. If you are not allowed to sell it, you are not allowed to trade it or advertise it for trade. Any adverts for prohibited items will be removed without notice.

All members making use of this forum should exercise caution in any deals that they may decide to follow up. While 99.5% of transactions close without a problem and both parties are usually satisfied, there are those individuals who like to take advantage and use the internet as a way to scam people out of their hard earned money.

We have set up a Buyer & Seller Feedback area for positive or negative feedback on previous transactions. You are advised to check the feedback on members before commencing.

You are strongly advised to use the most secure method of payment for any item you are buying or selling. Some general advice can be found here.

If we discover that a member has been involved in any dishonest activity in the forums we will ban that person and if there is evidence of a crime we will co-operate fully with the victim and/or law enforcement agencies to assist in making sure that justice is done.

Remember, we cannot guarantee that an individual is who they say they are, nor that they have the item they are selling.

When posting items, please keep the title of your thread concise, but include sufficient details to describe what you are selling. Also please include the prefix "FS:" (For Sale), "WTB:" (Wanted To Buy) or "WTT:" (Wanted To Trade) as this lets someone browsing the list clearly see the status of an item.

Once your thread is no longer necessary (e.g. you have sold your item), please close it. There is an option to do this in the "Thread Tools" menu at the top of the thread. Only close your thread when you are sure that you no longer need it. Closed threads will automatically be moved into the Archived Classifieds forum, as will threads with no activity in 60 days or more.

New Member Restrictions

To help reduce the number of fraudulent listings from users who clearly sign up for iLounge merely to post such listings, we have instituted a new policy on the use of the Classifieds forum by new members.

New "Freshman Loungers" will only be able to read the Classified forum and respond to existing threads and posts -- they will not be able to start their own threads offering items for sale until such time as they have reached "Regular Member" status ("Junior Lounger") which occurs after 10 posts have been made and they have been a member for at least 7 days.

• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Fair second hand Prices and realistic expectations

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jackonicko

Retired
It strikes me that second hand prices asked here and elsewhere are often a tad high. Perhaps some of us forget that new prices have dropped, and that Apple refurbs (fully guaranteed, with a new battery and a new, unscratched enclosure - and often unsold stock rather than 'proper' refurbs) are available at very low prices.

By logical, reasonable standards, you'd expect an unguaranteed, used iPod to cost less than a refurb - though I guess the 10 GB scroll-pod might have some rarity value - and some (including me) would pay a bit more for one than we would for a trackpad 10 GB pod.

Below is a list of iPods by model, with the last (cheapest) new price and the most recent refurb price where known.

M8513: Original scrollwheel version 5 GB (Mac only) ?259
M 8541: Original scrollwheel version 5 GB (Mac only) ?259
M8709: Original 10 GB original scroll version (Mac only) ?329

M8513: 'New' scrollwheel 5 GB Mac version ?259 new, ?125 refurb
M8697: 'New' scrollwheel 5 GB PC version ?259 new, ?125 refurb
M8737: Trackwheel 10 GB Mac version ?329 new, ?178 refurb
M8740: Trackwheel 10 GB PC version ?329 new, ?178 refurb
M8738: Trackwheel 20 GB Mac version ?399 new, ?279 refurb
M8741: Trackwheel 20 GB PC version ?399 new, ?279 refurb

M8976: New 4-button 10 GB version ?249
M8946: New 4-button 15 GB version ?299
M8948: New 4-button 30 GB version ?399

I'd have thought that a refurb's guarantee and 'shiny newness' is worth ?30 of anyone's money, and by extension this ought to make second hand prices below ?100 for the 5 GB, mint, below ?150 for the 10 GB, and below ?250 for the 20 GB. Moreover, since the refurb prices include P&P so should these! Your opinion on this would be most interesting.

US prices
If anyone can supply current US refurb prices for 5 GB and 20 GB pods, please do so, and I'll add them to the list below.

M8513: 'New' scrollwheel 5 GB Mac version $299
M8697: 'New' scrollwheel 5 GB PC version $299
M8737: Trackwheel 10 GB Mac version $399 new, $199 refurb
M8740: Trackwheel 10 GB PC version $399 new, $199 refurb
M8738: Trackwheel 20 GB Mac version $499
M8741: Trackwheel 20 GB PC version $499
M8976: New 4-button 10 GB version $299
M8946: New 4-button 15 GB version $399
M8948: New 4-button 30 GB version $499

That would make a good second hand ten gigger worth, say, $150......

Would there be any benefeit in making this sticky, perhaps in the Classifieds?

Last edited:

Jackonicko

Retired
(If any UK podder wants a 20 GB iPod, I may be able to get a batch on Tuesday, before the refurb store opens (and thus before it sells out on Wednesday) at a cost of ?310 plus p&p, or handed over face-to-face in Reading or Oxford. PM me if you're interested.....)

I'll delete this post in a coupla days, cos it's only valid this week.

smelly

Import fro us refurb site?

Hi,

I was intriged by this post. Can you by any chance get hold of refurbs from the us site? They are selling refurb 10 Gb ipods for $199 as you stated, do you have any contacts in the States that can purchase them there to export over here? With the respective export taxes applied of course.

Any thoughts??????

bhauke

Ready for air time!
Absolutely agree

I agree that people are asking way too much for used iPods. But here's the problem: other people are willing to pay these prices! It's crazy when you go look at the eBay auctions for iPods. I see 20Gb gen 2's going for over $300. You can go to MacWarehouse and get a brand new one for $294 plus shipping. And at least then you're buying from an authorized Apple Reseller, so you know the warranty will be honored. I even see people paying more than Apple's price for the new models! The only way that people will quit asking more is if people refuse to pay it. Otherwise, the show will go on.

Butch

aswimmer94563

swimmin ipodder
all the 5 gigs on ebay are going way high, 170+, and some even up to 200. but ya kno, people are buying at the high prices so......not much ya can do.

mrkablooey

Re: Absolutely agree

bhauke said:
You can go to MacWarehouse and get a brand new one for $294 plus shipping.
$199 with iBook/Applecare purchase
$249 with iBook purchase

Hellofadeal!

WildTexas.com

Website
wildtexas.com
Depends on what you bundle the used iPod with. I sold my 20GB 2nd gen. iPod for $325 on eBay ($350 with shipping factored in), but that was the iPod, all its original accessories (including box), a $90 custom Vaja leather case and two car adapters and an iSkin case. Not a bad deal when you factor all that in.

You're right, though, I wouldn't have tried to sell my 20GB iPod on eBay for over $300 if it were just the unit and accessories itself.

euangel

Website
www.broncosfreak.com
$199 refurb 10gb iPods at AppleStore.com

Thought someone might be interested in this. These appear to be 10gb 2nd generation models for Windows:

Refurbished iPods

If the link doesn't work, go the the Apple Store and click on special deals on the bottom left.

noryen

Refurbished 10GB iPods from the Apple Store are no longer available... looks like "eBay" market price on those are going to go up again.

kiki

I'm calling from London and looking for a 10Gb refurb Gen 2 ipod for windows...i'm gonna check out tomorrow, Weds' offer on the apple site. Anyone know how long does it take apple to ship the refurb product? Or can Jackonicko help?

Does a refurb ipod comes in it original box? together with all the assessories?

Last edited:

davebach172

10 minutes to go!

Yes - it comes completely like new. I bought one a couple of weeks back, and it took a total of 6 days to arrive (not bad in my book). The box comes sealed, like my 15gig did, and includes all the accessories, manuals, and plastic wrappings, that come with that model. Someone mentioned that they replace the casing, and I can believe this - the gen2 10gig looked spotless. ( Just wish I'd known about them before splashing out on my gen3! )

Now stop reading threads, and go camp on that link! Hope you get one!

kiki

they've only got the 20 gb ipod......no luck for me!! Think i might just hold out for one more month and get a gen 3 ipod.....would have been nice to have gotten one now though :(

smelly

Apple have recently offered ?20 off all purchases over ?200 for being a valued customer, this plus the educational discount if you work at a educational facility will make the 10Gb 3rd gen ipod just ?210.30 which is a good deal cheaper than on the street.

smelly

Just goto http://www.apple.com/uk/education/ and then click the apple store link. Click access the education store and type in your education institute and location - and then the education store with the applied discounts is displayed. To get the ?20 discount apple would have e-mailed you.

kiki

any idea when this 20 pounds discount ends? How long does it take for it to ship anyway? THanks for the tip