Extract songs from ipod.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

beer.swiller

I have an ipod nano and I would like to know how I take the songs from this ipod to my laptop running windows 10.
I can only find the songs on my ipod when it is connected to the laptop and when I launch tunes. The songs are all in the "on the go 1" and these only appear when the ipod is on and connected to tunes. There are no songs anywhere else. The ipod I have is on its way out, the screen is broken and it wont play using headphones. My wife is buying me another mp3 player but it isn't an ipod or anything apple. Can anyone assist me with this.

cjmnews

Staff member
First allow hidden folders to be seen:
  • Open the Control Panel in Windows 10
  • Open the File Explorer Options
  • Click on the View tab
  • Select Show Hidden files and folders and click OK.
Get the files from the iPod into iTunes
  • Connect the iPod to your Windows 10 computer
  • Open iTunes if it did not open automatically, put on left side of screen
  • Open File Explorer, put on right side of screen
  • Navigate to the iPod drive
  • Navigate to the iPod Control folder
  • In the Search bar of the File Explorer type: *.m4a OR *.mp3 OR *.m4p
  • In the results, select the first track and hold Ctrl and type A to select them all
  • Drag the tracks from File Explorer and drop them onto the Library section of iTunes.
  • Wait for the import to complete
  • Click on Songs section of the Library in iTunes, you should see your music.
  • Music with Unknown Artist or Unknown Album need manual updates. right click each one and choose Song Info and fill out the data and click OK.
You can remove the iPod and dispose of it properly.

If the songs are MP3, iTunes will show MPEG audio file in the Kind column. No need to update these for a non-iPod player.
If the songs are M4A (typical iTunes format), iTunes will show AAC audio file or Purchased AAC audio file in the Kind column. Need to convert these to MP3.
If the songs are M4P (encrypted iTunes store format) iTunes will show Protected AAC audio file in the Kind column. Need to burn to CD, then import as MP3 to convert these files.

Update iTunes preferences to use MP3 files for Convert M4A to MP3 and Import CDs as MP3
  • Update iTunes Preferences, click on Edit->Preferences, then click on the Import Settings button.
  • Set Import Using to MP3 Encoder
  • Set Setting to Higher Quality (192 kbps)
  • Click OK
Convert M4A to MP3
  • Ensure preferences are set to MP3 importing
  • Select 1 or more songs
  • Click on File->Convert->Create MP3 Version
  • Wait for process to finish
Burn tracks to CD
  • Create a Playlist by clicking File->New->Playlist
  • Name the playlist Burn
  • Drag the tracks you need to convert from the song list and drop onto the Burn playlist
  • Click on the Burn playlist and ensure the time listed in the bottom bar is 72 minutes or less. If bigger than 72 minutes, delete tracks from the bottom of the Burn playlist until the total time is 72 minutes or less. Remember the last track burned as you will start with the next track next time.
  • Put a blank CD in your CD drive
  • Right click the Burn playlist and choose Burn Playlist to Disc
  • Wait for burn to complete.
Import tracks from CD
The MP3 files can be selected from iTunes, dragged and dropped onto a File Explorer for the new MP3 player.

beer.swiller

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain as you have. I shall try when I'm home from work tonight.

beer.swiller

Once again I followed those instructions and managed to extract the songs from my old ipod to my new device. I noticed in the files that a lot of the songs I had didn't display with their title and artist but, ETYI, YUISH, etc etc why have these ednded up like that?
Once again thanks.
Dennis.

cjmnews

Staff member
The iPod uses a simple naming convention for internal storage. Once the songs are imported into iTunes, the ones with complete tags will be renamed into their original names. Songs without complete tags will remain as 4 character names until you fix the tags. This was glossed over but part of the instructions. You would need to listen to the songs with incomplete tags and set the track name, album, and artist in iTunes. This is part of the steps above. Don’t try to skip steps.