External hard drive questions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
I want to move my music library to an external hard drive in the near future, and I was planning to have it plugged in and turned on all the time so I can play the music from it.

So my questions are these: are external hard drives supposed to be on and running for the same time your computer is running (which can be for up to 15 hours a day in my case)? or are they supposed to only be plugged in and turned on when you absolutely need it? Will this vary according to the kind of hard-drive I get?

I would like to hear from people who run their libraries from external hard drives. What do you all do?

Essin

You'll find that keeping it on all the time won't be a problem.
But, keeping it CONNECTED can be a problem. There will be times when you go "Ooops, did I just disconnect the wrong cable?"

gibsonjunkie

I would indefinitely buy one that shuts off when the computer shuts off. I have three 500 GB Western Digital drives (2 Firewire and one USB2) and they all shut down with the computer.I also have a Seagate 320 with an on-off switch, but it stays on unless I shut it down. I also had a 160 GB WD USB drive, but it stayed on all the time - it got really hot and died quicker than any drive I've ever owned before.

Since startup is the most wearing part of a drive, turning it on and off constantly is not a good idea.:shake:

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
Yeah, I was planning to turn the drive on at the same time as my computer and then shutting it off when Im done using the computer too. Not having it on ALL the time.

I think it pays off to get a drive that shuts down with the computer and most of all, one that comes from a reputable company and not the generic crappy kind we have here. Im gonna have to find someone to buy it for me in the US and bring it here. What a pain.