• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

External Hard Drive - looking for suggestions and advice

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jmmotto

I am looking to retire an old PC and purchase an external hard drive to connect to my new-purchased laptop. Because the old PC didn't have very much memory, I have all 4,000 songs on my iPod. However, I think it's time to get that external hard drive to make sure these songs are housed somewhere a little more secure.

2 questions:

1. Does anyone suggest a specific brand/type of external hard drive? I'm looking for the ever-popular reliability+plenty of space+good price.
2. What do you suggest is the best way to get the music on the iPod onto the external hard drive? I want to keep all the same settings (play counts, playlists, etc.).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maxman

Don't Call Me Fat, Jon...
What you could and probably should do is buy an internal hard drive and get an external enclosure for it. It saves you money. My brother recently did that and I have been thinking of doing it for one of my internal drives to free up a drive bay.

jmmotto

cool, thanks for the suggestion link on hard drives.

What do you suggest is the easiest way to get the songs off the iPod and onto the external hard drive? Again, the iPod is the only place that the songs are currently stored. I want to keep the play counts, playlists, etc.

cks2006

I am going to suggest get something with a cypress USB2.0 chip, as they are rather universal.

~tl

cks2006 said:
I am going to suggest get something with a cypress USB2.0 chip, as they are rather universal.
And if you're going down the Firewire route, look for something with an Oxford 911/922.

TOM

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
My FW ox911 external never worked right in conjunction with my vaio notebook and XP (Ricoh controller), curiously it worked great under Win98, same notebook. Loaded all the patches I would find - nuthing. Just personal experience.

I am not sure I'd recommend FW for PC platform. 'Cuz USB is built into windows. i.e.: U can be sure u can configure USB to stay powered on when PC goes to sleep etc. With FW, such detailed config is left to the PCcard vendor. My server FW card, Orange Micro, is out of business, so no more updates.

One may also come across NAS (Network Attached Storage), this is kinda nice 'cuz if u can access it via Wifi, look Ma, no wires! but there is a recent thread of a fella suggesting iTunes doesn't like NAS, at least his NAS.

Last edited:

Pghmyn

Depends on a size that you want. I would really suggest a Lacie drive though. They are cheap, and less that $1 per GB. Get a 500GB model for I think it was $350-$400.

Chris_Hayek

El Cristobal
Website
myspace.com
You should use Sharepod, it's free, and it transfers songs from iPod2PC and vice-versa, it keeps all the settings you want, plus it doesnt need installation; just run it from the iPod and walla!It's also super-fast if you use firewire...
For the HD, my uncle got me a "acomdata" 120GB, it's less than I wanted...it's been half full in only 2hrs (time needed to put things on)...I once saw 300GB internal HD + external box for $130...that's a good deal...

Chris_Hayek

El Cristobal
Website
myspace.com
The Western Digital Mybook looks reeeeaaaally nice...You should get this one, if you dont plan to transport it very often...My Acomdata is more compact, that's what I needed because I use it with my friends...

Amelie

<3
Pghmyn said:
Depends on a size that you want. I would really suggest a Lacie drive though. They are cheap, and less that $1 per GB. Get a 500GB model for I think it was $350-$400.
Seconded. See my siggy.:)